ebay turbo header, any ever cracked? (DON'T POST unless you have PICS!!!)

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
i am always seeing people say to reinforce them blah blah blah or they will crack. yet i have NEVER heard of one cracking or seen pics of one that has cracked on a 7m. all ive ever heard of is claims and pics from a honda version that was sold like 5+ years ago. so for this thread, all i want is to know if there is one that has actually cracked or failed from use. and if so i want PICS!!!!! without pics to prove it the claim is null and void. ive got one of these myself im planning to use and wondering if i should even bother trying to reinforce it or not. i dont think it is going to need it. but if you can, prove me wrong and ill do it now before i get to install it all.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
There were some that cracked, with pictures posted, but this was a long time ago, (pre-forum hack, which is why you won't find pics) and the manufacturing quality from China tends to get better after the initial run. So it's *probably* not a problem anymore.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
I've seen a 3sgte one crack after a year, but not a 7m yet.

There aren't too many people that have used one DAILY for a long period of time.

I wouldn't bother.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i have seen lots and lots of honda ones crack from the same companies :D (i have SEEN it in person, i just did not care enough to take a picture of it) not sure why it would be any different on a 7M's if its the same hands/people making it..

it varies on the time to take it to crack, i have seen as long as a year and as little as a month to start noticing cracks

Red7m

Oct 16, 2005
Hollidaysburg PA
tlo86;986413 said:
i have seen lots and lots of honda ones crack from the same companies :D (i have SEEN it in person, i just did not care enough to take a picture of it) not sure why it would be any different on a 7M's if its the same hands/people making it..

it varies on the time to take it to crack, i have seen as long as a year and as little as a month to start noticing cracks

It might be different with the 7m's because our turbo mounts on top, and on the Honda's and Dsm's (I have seen a couple of local's with one that cracked) mount on the bottom. So the way that manifold supports the wieght is different. But I dont know that is just a guess.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Red7m;986514 said:
It might be different with the 7m's because our turbo mounts on top, and on the Honda's and Dsm's (I have seen a couple of local's with one that cracked) mount on the bottom. So the way that manifold supports the wieght is different. But I dont know that is just a guess.

oddly enough it was on a "log style" manifold (which cracked the worse) it was on the "top mount" and the normal honda/dsm mount so i dont think the design had the affect.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
hondas also only have 4 runners holding the weight not 6. but since ij has melted the coating and not hurt the header that to me is proof enough they dont need reinforcement. thanks for that tidbit ij.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Ive seen many many cracked ssautochrome Honda turbo manifolds. Always the ramhorn style. Many people found that using flex sections on their downpipes and making brackets to put the weight of the turbo onto the block instead of the manifold solved the problems.. Now i've also seen plenty of these manifolds on hondas where the WG fell off lol.. Seems to not be an issue with the 7m's and 2jz's.

drbowser3

The Doc is in...
Jan 17, 2006
Tampa,FL
I have the ebay manifold. Been on my car for just over a year. It is holding a 35R. Put about 15k miles on the car, been my daily for the better part of the year. No cracks. Depending on turbo size, I may add some braces. But be prepared for a spacer. If you want, I live in tampa, you can look at it on the car if you would like...