Ebay Projector upgrade kits?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
10k yikes. Over twice the amount needed.

Cutoff
p1661917_1.jpg

A good siter for info
planethid.com

parts
theretrofitsource.com

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
jrot;1661772 said:
@poodles...whats wrong with silverstars? i have them in every car ive ever owed and they are amazing....they only look blue to you in the driver seat and just a hint of it anyway. they look clean white to everyone else (oncoming)....last as long as a standard bulb but are expensive...i would appreciate a link to where you get the info that they suck. i would also appreciate a link to where you get the info on this E-code stuff as it sounds like an interesting read...

@bioskyline....why are projectors only good for 4x4 at night? is that why all the new cars have them stock? because thats all their good for?

@ everyone...my wifes murano has projectors on it factory and they are amazing...and since they suck so bad is that why there are multiple threads on this forum and all other supra forums of people going to great lengths to fit fog/projectors to their cars in place of the factory bulbls?......

im calling shenanigans

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html

Silverstars are:
- Overpriced
- Still a sealed beam
- Still a sub par DOT housing
- Blue coating is stupid as it limits lighting

Cheap "blue" bulbs are even worse: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/bad/bad.html

Here's info on the DOT vs E-code: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Neodeuccio;1661784 said:
jrot- I agree that silverstars are pretty good, but we all know they're not the best. I've had them on a number of cars, but for the supra I want something better. Personally, if I'm driving well above the speed limit at night, "pretty good" isn't good enough. I want "fucking astounding". I think that's what Pood is saying.

Pood- If I've misinterpreted what you wrote, please correct me. Also, the $400 you mentioned for a decent setup, you mean that guys who design and build their own will spend $400 on parts, then hours of labor to get them up and running, right? I wouldn't shy away from the price, but having to figure out how to make all that shit work would kill me.

Correct, you have to make them. Considering the interest in this thread I might start doing them myself, but there WILL be a markup for my work...

Smashey;1661788 said:
if you want good lighting i would go for these... they look to have a decent cutoff but not quite as good as factory ones
http://norcalmr2.com/pegasus/

Terrible. They're low beam H7 projectors with cheap chinese rebased bulbs. They're not designed for HID's, they're low beam only, and they won't last.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Anything that requires to be done CORRECTLY will require money.

with that said, if the HID bulb mounts are ANYTHING except DS1/DS2/DS3, then it is a SHIT retrofit. End of story.

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
well poodles i agree that the price is way too high...thoug i had the cheap ebay 9006 convert kit or whatever on my car when i bought it it sucked so went with a factory bulb and it was about the same then went with the silverstar sealed beam and it was a major improvement....and i think the slight blue tint that the silverstars have on their capsules is just to clean the yellow from the light itself and it works....if it does cut out on light output it makes the light cleaner and more useful from my use so far....i agree that a true HID would be the best option for a functional upgrade but the silverstar is good for a regular factory type drop in stock bulb for those who dont want to fab or spend the cash or what ever....they are far from junk as a straight replacement bulb....now im off to go read those links you posted....

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

poodles these are great links loots of really great info here.....i think he is speaking more to the "cool blue" lights that i see more than the silverstars but is deffinatly good and informative reading...those links should be sticky"ed" someplace.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
jrot;1662140 said:
well poodles i agree that the price is way too high...thoug i had the cheap ebay 9006 convert kit or whatever on my car when i bought it it sucked so went with a factory bulb and it was about the same then went with the silverstar sealed beam and it was a major improvement....and i think the slight blue tint that the silverstars have on their capsules is just to clean the yellow from the light itself and it works....if it does cut out on light output it makes the light cleaner and more useful from my use so far....i agree that a true HID would be the best option for a functional upgrade but the silverstar is good for a regular factory type drop in stock bulb for those who dont want to fab or spend the cash or what ever....they are far from junk as a straight replacement bulb....now im off to go read those links you posted....

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

poodles these are great links loots of really great info here.....i think he is speaking more to the "cool blue" lights that i see more than the silverstars but is deffinatly good and informative reading...those links should be sticky"ed" someplace.

Take them to heart. Halogen lights don't output much blue light, so putting a blue coating on the bulbs cuts output, period. Plus, blue is one of the harder colors for our eyes to see, and we lose definition looking at it. In fact, the "yellow" look of most bulbs is better, just like yellow tinted shooters or driving glasses.

It's a big scam.

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
yes what hes saying makes a lot of sense...but all i know is i see better clearer and farther with my sealed beam silverstars than i did with standard sylvania bulbs...my halogens i had in my old accord were much brighter and clearer with the sivlerstars also...maybe not scientificly better but to my eye it is....i would really like to get the correct HID kit from above mentioned website....will have to be further down the road.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Not talking about the blue, as the blue is a confirmed myth... Hell, the silverstars could just be using higher wattage bulbs (which isn't exactly good on your wiring).

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
It's too bad Sylvania stopped making the Xenarc auxiliary low beam HID kits.... those would be the ideal solution. They fit right where the stock fogs do and work like low beam HID's (they had a cutoff and proper reflector design). They were even DOT approved... AND they were only like $400. They are discontinued though. No idea why. Maybe too many idiots mounted them aimed too high.

Hella makes HID driving lights, but I don't think they have a cutoff... and they're like $500+ a set.

They also sell low beam and high beam HID projector units for about $400 PER UNIT (yeah, $1600 a set!). For just the projectors... no bulbs or ballasts (as far as it says on their site). They would be perfect for making a set of flush mounts for a MKIII. If you can figure out how to grow gold in your yard.

Mkiii supra

Apr 16, 2010
Salem Oregon
What to do is make sure you buy the HID's from an american buyer!

I did this and it works really well! I bought some Ebay H4 "projector" headlights. buy a good HID kit not from ebay. I also did my fog lights in HID's with the same color. to be honnest all you need to do is aim your headlights down a little and it doesnt cause the super bad glare that you have seen on other cars. I have driven past my supra with these and it is no worse than driving past a Mercedes with HID's. ID say go for it!

These look lots more blue in the picture than they really are. they are 10,000K
left is just your typical halogen lights and the right are the HID's

p1662264_1.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Mkiii supra;1662264 said:
What to do is make sure you buy the HID's from an american buyer!

I did this and it works really well! I bought some Ebay H4 "projector" headlights. buy a good HID kit not from ebay. I also did my fog lights in HID's with the same color. to be honnest all you need to do is aim your headlights down a little and it doesnt cause the super bad glare that you have seen on other cars. I have driven past my supra with these and it is no worse than driving past a Mercedes with HID's. ID say go for it!

These look lots more blue in the picture than they really are. they are 10,000K
left is just your typical halogen lights and the right are the HID's

p1662275_1.jpg

Um, no :3d_frown:

Unless the cutoof looks even close to this http://www.theretrofitsource.com/images/products/hid-projectors/TL Projector Output ZKW-Rl.jpg (which I know it doesn't), you're the reason states are passing laws trying to ban HID's. Also, it doesn't matter where you buy the HID kit, they're garbage if they're rebased bulbs (i.e. if they fit in an H4 socket, they're rebased).

You might like how that looks, but people in the know see it as rice.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^and 10k.

10k is way to bright. Its the worse thing ever. Honestly id rather have a drunk driver coming at me with proper headlights than someone coming at me with 10k. It way to bright to the point where i cant see the road the lines or even the car with 10k lights.

Your lights are way too bright. get max 5k and be done with it. The higher k does not mean you have better light. And blue doesn't do shit but make your usable light even worse.

Edit you cant even see your projector if you even have them. Proper hids you can see the projector when the lights are on as long as your not looking at the cutoff or below. Your lights are scattered as hell.

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
no the ones blinding you are just misaimed and/or using HID in fluted glass housings meant for halogen bulbs.

this is why i'm just going to buy some cheap clear glass housings and retro in some FX-Replica or morimoto mini projectors in there.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
They were in a benz or bmw tho. There are some that i see that are just plain way to bright and there are the ones that are just scattered. Maybe it was just bright and aimed wrong but still im thinking of some lights that shouldnt be sold.

Ive forgotten most of the stuff ive read about hids as it was a couple years ago and its not something i use all the time.

If you want hids save for quality or search other forums and buy some projectors or whole head lights with them and buy the parts needed to use them. There is no reason to cheap out spend 1-200 on crap just to spend another 600 later.

This is one of my biggest pepieves when driving.

Mkiii supra

Apr 16, 2010
Salem Oregon
what I was trying to get at is that if you aim them right you can still see and not blind others with the kit he was looking at getting. at least mine arnt that bad with what i have done with them. I have seen hondas have much more glare.

My plans later in life when i am done with college and have money to waist on the car is to get some projectors because i am aware that they are far superior, but for now this setup works and I can see far better at night.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Mkiii supra;1662343 said:
what I was trying to get at is that if you aim them right you can still see and not blind others with the kit he was looking at getting. at least mine arnt that bad with what i have done with them. I have seen hondas have much more glare.

My plans later in life when i am done with college and have money to waist on the car is to get some projectors because i am aware that they are far superior, but for now this setup works and I can see far better at night.

No. If you aim them down that low you're getting worse lighting than stock.