Ebay Manifolds ?

87turbosupra

"The 87' Burgundy"
Apr 11, 2005
Colo Spgs, CO
I'm going to be upgrading to a Garrett 60-1, and I've been looking at either getting a T4 adapter for the stock manifold or getting one of those ebay T4 manifolds. Have any of you used those manifolds yet. They're down to $300 buy it now.

ryans_supra

Mar 31, 2005
Burnaby
I was curious as well. I noticed that someone elso on ebay was selling 321 stainless steel exhaust manifolds on ebay. for the price there must be something wrong with them. probably fitment issues or other problems with cracking or so on. If anyone has any info i am interested as well.

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
From what I understand, you also have to re-route the oil dipstick because their manifolds don't leave a place for it. If you ask me, some more R&D should have been put into it.

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
DrakeMK3 said:
From what I understand, you also have to re-route the oil dipstick because their manifolds don't leave a place for it. If you ask me, some more R&D should have been put into it.

Then they wouldn't be $300 manifolds ;)

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
i heard from SF that not every t4 fits! better do some of your own R&D, Id give them a call and talk to someone in person before buying.

~scott

Jonnymkiii

High Altitude
Mar 31, 2005
Boulder, Co
There was a thread on here BH (Before Hack) about these manifold... from what I recall most people were saying to stay away from them and also it was questioned if they are actually 321 SS.

For this price I wouldn't expect good quality - don't expect it to a direct fit. I would also expect it to crack with some time. Also one thing to think about would brace for the manifold... you'll want to brace it so that it doesn't become over strained with the weight it will be supporting.

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Jonnymkiii said:
There was a thread on here BH (Before Hack) about these manifold... from what I recall most people were saying to stay away from them and also it was questioned if they are actually 321 SS.

For this price I wouldn't expect good quality - don't expect it to a direct fit. I would also expect it to crack with some time. Also one thing to think about would brace for the manifold... you'll want to brace it so that it doesn't become over strained with the weight it will be supporting.

I spoke with some people and it would honestly be pretty hard to get all those 321 SS mandrel bends in material alone for that price, much less weld them all together into a nice manifold. But still, if you can throw another $100 or so into a spacer, some supporting brackets and maybe header wrap so those things hold heat better, you'll probably still have a pretty decent tubular manifold for $400. Since the stock exhaust mani supports 500+ rwhp I'll just be getting the adapter myself.

87turbosupra

"The 87' Burgundy"
Apr 11, 2005
Colo Spgs, CO
Some of them offer a 1-year warranty against cracking, and they also have braces on the runners. Are there any fitment issues with the T4 adapters ( dipstick, oil filter)
RB20AV6%20011.jpg

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Since I don't use SF:
Comparing one of these in my own hands to my trust header, here are the problems.
1. The turbo is mounted too close to the header runners. this causes interference with the compressor housing on the runners.
The problem is that the runners don't drop low enough, and then they bend up sharply. The Trust header drops the runners roughly 4 inches lower, and then raises them back up 4 inches, to clear large compressor housings.
2. The turbo flange is angled nearly perpendicular to the head flange. This pulls the turbo closer to the header, further creating the above interference. The Trust unit has the turbo cocked roughly 120 degrees from the head flange to hold the turbo closer to the strut tower, and further from the runners.
3. The #1 runner is not tucked close enough to the head, and interferes with the oil filter bracket. The Trust header has the runner running immediately beneath the head flange, out of the way of the oil filter bracket.
4. The above mentioned dipstick issue, the cracking, etc. The header does use reinforcements on each runner, but they are not as beefy as the trust units, and with 321ss, an actual bracket that supports the turbo should be used.

The best replica of the trust header out there is HPFs. Joe took mine in and compared the two, and had the appropriate changes made, and even reclocked the turbo flange to better fit large diameter downpipes. The quality of the HPF unit is easy to see, and they have a lifetime cracking warranty.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
A pemier mk4 builder ordered one of these, and grabbed his Greddy manifold, took both to a profesional welder (40 years experiance) and said, tell me which one is better. The welder said the cheap one was actualy better made with thicker pipes and better welds..... take that for what it's worth.

evildoer

Apr 4, 2005
Augusta, Georgia
heres a pic or 2 of the one on ebay saying they are 321 ss excuse crap pic

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Picture 019.jpg