Ebay mani + Super T70 - has anyone tried it yet?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Since you can't search the term "T70" :3d_frown: I thought I'd ask if anyone's tried the ebay mani + T70 combo? For under $1000, it seems like (if it held together, lol) it'd be a ridiculously cheap way to make power.

Reliable? Somehow, I'm not thinking it would be the MOST reliable of setups - bigger oil cooler would be a definite need - but with the popularity of the upgraded CT26s (the bigger of which are also unreliable, overall) it doesn't seem like that big of a jump.

I'm just curious - I picked up a 'Super T70' off ebay about a year ago, and have logged 13,000 miles with it so far on my '88 Camaro 3.1L turbo setup, and I have minimal shaft play on it - granted, it sees only Mobil 1 15w50, and I was damn adamant about FULLY priming the oil system - I held the compressor wheel in place until ALL the oil had fully heated up, and taken the place of the assembly lubricant it had in it (went from not moving at all when idling, to spinning freely after about 20-25 minutes). Yes, I've heard the horror stories, but for $300, I bit, and @ 7psi, I'm pushing almost 250rwhp on a motor that puts out about 140hp at the flywheel.

It's currently running 12psi on the Camaro. I'm thinking of snagging one of the ebay manifolds and trying it out, just for shits and giggles. :)

Cliff's notes:
Anyone tried the Ebay mani + T70?
Impressions of those that have tried it?
Numbers? (spool/power/boost)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I'm guessing nobody's running that combo, then, eh?

I'll have to snag a manifold and see how much/what kind of spacing I need.. if it's nothing major, I'll just weld up a quick spacer for it :)

GTsupra

Oct 18, 2005
perth australia
i have that full set up on my ma70 with 360rwh running 20psi with no problems. pulled the turbo apart and all looks good. had manifold tested for cracks and leeks before i put together. been in the car for 9 months now with no problems.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 38

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
It's a 60.5 mm compressor wheel... more like a T61, than anything else imho.

GTSupra, 20psi only netted you 360rwhp from this setup? -nevermind, searched under your name, and saw it was enough to get you in the 12s, and you were on an edy current dyno.. so you're really doing more like ~420hp.

Yeah, I'm thinking I may go with a MegaSquirt II + ebay Manifold... it'll be interesting, if nothing else :)

Last edited: