eBay full gasket sets, are they good?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
They are shit. Its just crappy paper material in the right shapes. Either go with a toyota/felpro set. Even Felpro is not going to be as good/last as long as Toyota gaskets. You might want to talk to your machine shop as they might be able to get you a good gasket set. Ask them if they sell Stone gaskets, they are pretty decent, and usually not as expensive as other sets. Gaskets are something you dont want to skimp on, leaks are a bitch especially if its totally avoidable. BTW, i reccomend you get some copper spray. I use it on almost all of my gaskets, especially if i wont be removing the part often. It makes a great seal, but can also damage the gasket if you plan on removing the part any time.

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
well, it would be great to have access to wider availability of gaskets, but here in Lithuania, we have cheap china shit, OEM or have to get them from USA/Japan :)
Maybe any of our vendors sell a normal gasket kit?

I just don't want to pay 1200usd for OEM gaskets, as I think its ridiculous amount :)

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I ordered a full set for the 5MGE some months back for like $52. Got what I paid for.

I needed metal cam tower gaskets, got paper ones instead. Did not have camshaft O-rings in the right size, did not have lower manifold gasket in the right shape (O shape versus later model shape which I needed)

The majority of the gaskets were good though, and I used them. Came with Viton valve stem seals, which I used.

I even used the shitty head gasket :-O

Got maybe 2,000 miles on the engine so far, no issues yet.

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
so I guess I'll give it a try and order the kit in first post. We shall see what is usable from it and what is not, either way, it cost's the same as exhaust manifold gasket from toyota :D

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Ohh yeah, that's one more thing. My exhaust manifold gasket is a single layer of compound material whereas the OEM exhaust gasket is double layered I believe.

I am still using it, seems to seal ok, but if I had the $, I'd go and get the double layered one someday

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
nah I dont need turbo gaskets, I have OEM from toyota so I dont bother if they are even included, I just need all small gaskets to freshen up the old ones, and stem seals mainly :)

Thank you guys for the help, I've ordered the ones on in the first post