Ebay coilover owners, I need some specs

importmyth01

Nov 10, 2007
Georgia
I know someone has these. I need to know what the dimensions of the coil spring is. QA1 Makes cheap replacement springs and I want to see if it will work as a good combo. FYI this is a serious budget build!

TIA

importmyth01

Nov 10, 2007
Georgia
The coil spring itself, these "coilover" kits are nothing but sleeves and short coil springs, I want to see if i can have adjustability with a stronger spring i dont care how it rides. I did this same thing on most of the civics I had and loved it.

Ebay coilover kit for civic - $40, custom QA1 springs that fit $160

$200 Ebay Sleeves > $700 Full Coilovers...thats my opinion anyway.

importmyth01

Nov 10, 2007
Georgia
I just need to know the spring specs that it comes with, I take it like most coilovers ebay has (for hondas etc.) they just slide over the stock strut and its adjustable. I have found QA1 springs from summit racing makes replacement springs at many spring rates and this would be a cheap alternative to $800 coilovers

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
You know cutting your springs would be even cheaper.
(Please do not take this seriously.)

What shocks are you running? Different shocks have different diameters and cheap sleeves may not fit over other dampers. Also, if you're paying $20 for a set of coilover sleeves with springs, you really need to question the quality of what you're getting. But if you want to be cheap, then you might as well go all out on it.

Basically, I do not condone any of this, it doesn't sound like a good idea. Why not just put steel rods over the damper shaft, so it won't move at all. You can adjust height with a grinder and your car will be super slammed and never rub, it would be amazing. And even cheaper, you wouldn't have to buy springs. You could even steal fence posts and cut them to fit over the shaft, then you wouldn't have to spend any money at all.

importmyth01

Nov 10, 2007
Georgia
LOL ^ just using stock TEMS, I think what I will do is become a guinea pig and see what comes of it. I guess I have been lucky on my past few setups or maybe even find a set of cheap used coilover/strut combo. I see that there are only a few companys that make the spring rates I ant to go with: 650lb Front/250lb Rear

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Back when I didn't know better, I put a cheap set of sleeves on my stock TEMS. It was unsafe. Anything over 60mph caused insane bouncing. Finally one of the perchs broke it self loose and fell down to the bottom of the shock.

The stock shocks do not have a welded perch. They are just sitting on a "bump".

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
other people have done it...

they either broke or immediately taken them off cause the ride was horrible...

being cheap with something that has the potential to fail HORRIBLY and cause you to wreck your car isn't worth it...

if ytou want a cheap route, get bilstein shocks and they have 3 different perches that will allow you to lower the car with stock springs... they also sell well made sleeves that give a fully adjustable spring perch...

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Can I ask how you came up with 650lb/in front and 250lb/in rear?

935 and Poodles, thanks for the responses.

Coilover sleeves aren't necessarily bad things, but super cheap anything is usually not a good idea.

As you probably know, I'm a big fan of what Poodles mentioned at the end of his post. The Bilstein route is a very good plan to take and there is a lot you can do with them.

Tim

importmyth01

Nov 10, 2007
Georgia
Heres what I wanted to folllow, hence the 650/250. The QA1 Springs only go as high as 650.

* Intrax
* Front: 700 lb/in max
* Rear: 220 lb/in
* Drop: 1.6" - 1.3"

Thanks for the advice guys, I guess they dont like sitting on supra struts too much, honda's have welded perches and the only problem i have ever seen was one sleeve after 7 years finally cracked at the bottom. I will be looking for a set of Intrax and just saving up the money slowly.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
So you're picking these rates because they're close to the max rates of the intrax springs. That doesn't sound like the best idea. Unless your car has a lot more front weight balance than stock, you're car is going to understeer more.

Tim

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
That doesn't mean they're right. But it all depends on what you want to do with the car. If you just want to lower it and drive around on the street, then any of those spring rates will work. But if you have too low of a spring rate and try to lower the car very much you will probably have bottoming out and rubbing issues.

Tim

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
I would need to know a lot more about the car before I could say anything. And even then, the rates that I would recommend for drag would be different that what I would recommend for drift. So a lot more information would be needed before I could even begin to suggest something.

importmyth01

Nov 10, 2007
Georgia
89 Turbo hard top
Car should weight close to 3100lbs with me in it
Hoping to make 600rwhp
Dont care about the ride on the street and it wont be too low given that I want to put 26" slicks on the back.

kjj512

May 27, 2006
PA
importmyth01 said:
89 Turbo hard top
Car should weight close to 3100lbs with me in it
Hoping to make 600rwhp
Dont care about the ride on the street and it wont be too low given that I want to put 26" slicks on the back.

I'll start off with curb weight and horsepower is not enough to tell you a decent suspension set up at all and thats all I'll say about that because Wiisass has covered that a million times already. Second off what are you doing to your car to get it down to 3100lbs? I'm just curious because I know what I took out to get my car that light and most of it is stuff normal people who drive on the street like. And one more point, I know how low a car is changes the center of gravity and subsequently the roll couple but I don't think you were thinking about that when referencing street ride quality with respect to the height of the car. Also did I read correctly your going to waste expensive slicks with boring street driving?