Easy Charging System Question. Please help.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
It's on my '95 V6 Camaro but it's a universal situation. Please help. It's my daily driver.

I start my car last night and my dash lights such as my "check gages" light and my "service engine soon" light etc. are spiratically on and off, my voltage gauge is reading past 18 and sometimes drops to 10 or so. Not normal. Try to turn on my brights on my way home, they blow out. Try the fogs, they blow out and won't work again either.

Is this a voltage regulator problem?

Also, what am I going to need to replace to get the "abs inop" light to go off and get my brights to work again etc... just fuses that blew or will I need to rewire and get new headlights? Thanks for looking.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
What are the DTC's for those illuminated MILs? So you turn on your headlights, and both bulbs blow at the same time? Then both fogs do the same thing?

Last edited:

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
tbcmorris;1202804 said:
this sounds like a definete voultage regulator prob. too little or too much voltage freaks things out...ex. abs

Yeah, my Auto III professor just confirmed it was the voltage regulator, but there might be more underlying problems. Won't know till I throw the alternator back in the car. Thanks for the responses guys. I'll let you know if I need to ask more questions or if we're solid.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Do you have a Camaro wiring diagram for your year and model? You should have circuit protection, and those should blow first, before the lights burn out.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
it's the Camaro auto repair feachter telling you to buy gm stuff so they can make money installed on most gm modles

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
NashMan;1204540 said:
it's the Camaro auto repair feachter telling you to buy gm stuff so they can make money installed on most gm modles

So you're telling me my college-level professor is screwing my car over so he can make money for GM?

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
Nick M;1204424 said:
Do you have a Camaro wiring diagram for your year and model? You should have circuit protection, and those should blow first, before the lights burn out.

I have absolutely no resources for this car. It's my daily and I wasn't expecting to spend a bunch of money on it cause I'm selling it to buy another Mkiii, so I didn't buy any diagrams or manuals.

My professor also said that with the new alternator/ alt. parts everything should function normally again and I shouldn't have to worry about replacing any fuses or anything. So maybe you're right about the circuit protection? Maybe they just fail-safed because of the extra voltage instead of burning out?