easiest way to pull engine?

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
I am pulling my engine out for rebuild soon, just curious as to what the easiest way would be? It will not be the first time i have pulled an engine but will be the first time on a supra. I am wondering if i should pull the engine and trans together or separate them? let me know from experience thanks

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
i remove both myself. once both are out lets me clean all the dirt and grease stuck in the bay and in the tunnel. and since your gonna be rebuilding the engine, why not do some work on the rest of the driveline? like clean it, new front/rear seal

laotionracer101

Jan 8, 2010
Arkansas
Hmm I had some difficulty trying to reach the trans/block bolts, So i yanked them together and used a cherry picker. Worked quite well, You might need a friend or two for it though.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Definitly have atleast 1 other person with you. Id say pull the trans with the engine. Just because some of the bolts to remove the trans are not exactly easy to get to, when its inside the car.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
^^ I 3rd that opinion... There is not a whole lot to disconnect the tranny from the car, so not only is it easier to pull them together (though certainly not impossible - I had to pull my tranny after build and those bolts are difficult but by far not the worst) but also good time to exam the tranny, seals clutch etc... I think it would be easier to assemble them (motor/tranny) back together out of the car rather than in... as you may or may not already know, but per the TRSM, you install the pressure plate after tranny is connected to motor using the inspection plates...

Be sure of two things, have the TRSM for your year of car at your side and use it.

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
I also suggest engine and trans together. Just make sure your hoist is up to the task and that the chains are securely attached to the assy.

Last edited:

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Trans and engine together, Remove the radiator and fan/clutch if you have one, you will need the extra room.. Right when you start to get it up high enough the trans starts to hit the tunnel and then the crank pulley hits the upper radiator support.. You'll have to hook the engine more forward on the chain to get it to be tilted back further, get a jack under the trans before you remove the trans mount and slowly let it down letting the engine tilt. Put a bag and a zip tie over the output shaft to keep fluid from going everywhere.. Once you've done it a few times it only takes an hour and a half to remove the engine from start to finish.

p1665045_1.jpg

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
I guess im the only guy who pulled the engine and not trans. the top bellhousing bolts r easy to get to. just need on socket swivel and 2 one foot extensions. i didnt have any help but i can imagine pulling both together it would definitely help.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
mnracer550;1665054 said:
I guess im the only guy who pulled the engine and not trans. the top bellhousing bolts r easy to get to. just need on socket swivel and 2 one foot extensions. i didnt have any help but i can imagine pulling both together it would definitely help.

Actually, I've done it both ways. I'll always pull them both now, it's significantly faster and much easier.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
mnracer550;1665054 said:

I actually pulled it that way, but put them back in together, I am certain when I do it the next time I will pull them together as well... just my preference is all... You are right though, those bolts with the right tools are easier than they look, but those bolts are not why I would not split them next time...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Depends on what tools you have at your disposal. If you have a load leveler, pulling the engine with the trans is easier.

The biggest issue with pulling just the motor is getting the trans back on. It's significantly easier to pull just the trans to do a clutch job, but much harder to pull just the engine. You end up having to mess with the transmission anyway putting the motor back in, and its' easier to do that out of the car. Not to mention the connectors on top of the transmission...

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
A few things haven't been covered yet that i think are important,

Unplug the engine harness from the ECU area and lay the harness on the engine while pulling. Do not attempt to leave the harness in the car.
Unbolt the AC compressor, and leave it in the bay. No need to open the system.
Same with the PS pump and res. But that can sometimes be more hassle than its worth on a mkiii. Its up to you.

Also, next time your at the junkyard pick up a trans output slip-yoke. That way you can just slip it in, while you pull the motor, and not have trans fluid all over.

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Idk if it was said already but unplugging the wiring harness and pulling it with the engine is easier too.

Then its just fuel lines, coolant hose, power steering, ac, exhaust, fan, ds, shifter and intake/ic pipes.

Edit: ^yup agreed.