early engine crossmember vs late

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
what is the difference exactly? is it just the motor mount style? what is the difference with the mounts other than shape? is the early one weaker?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
The round mounts are square mounts.

Late 89 allows JZ motors to be bolted in with OEM round mounts using 1JZ OEM Engine Brackets

They are all interchangeable as I have swapped racks from an 88 to a 91.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
so there is no strength/fitment issue... or such... i could throw an early crossmember in my 91 to get it back on the road... i dont plan on going jz...

would i have to use the early engine mounts?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
My 88 has a round mount subframe. Fits perfect. I bought the car like that, was swapped when the previous owner did the 1JZ swap. No modification to the frame.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
thank you

so the only real difference is the raised section at the bottom of the mount and the size of the access hole. i can make that work.

i have a complete early car... so il just use the early mounts for the engine

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
just thought I'd throw this in here for reference...

I have an 87 that is getting 1JZ swapped...

I used the JDM RHD engine crossmember to get the round engine mount points and OEM mounts,

HOWEVER; on RHD vs LHD the steering rack brackets are mirror opposite and off-centre 1/2" or so..
I carefully removed the spot welds and used the LHD steering rack brackets (re-welded to the JDM cross member)

^just on the odd chance someone tries to use the engine crossmember from their 1/2cut without noticing the 1/2" difference