E36 Bimmer 3 Series? Lookin @ Buying-What Should I Look For?

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Hey, looking at buying a 94 325is, really good condition in and out, all service records. Only $4400. Problem is it has 176k miles, but the owner says it runs perfectly and has no problems at all. I'm gonna have my mechanic look at it before I decide, but I wanted to know if anyone with some experience with these cars and knows what I should look out for. Any big issues to watch for? Thanks!

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
My wife has a 94 325i vert with 190k miles.

Runs like a champ. Averages on the little computer 26mpg, and gets around 30 average with alot of highway driving.

No real big issues with them. Timing chains dont break ever. Move the fan to see if it has any play, that would mean the waterpump is going out. Check the coolent tanks for cracks.

If it has the onboard PC, it will tell you any trouble codes.

They are pretty maintance free cars.

Just expect to pay $20 for an oil filter, and to buy 7 quarts of oil per every change.

oh, and they are slower then crap.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
^Huh???

I've logged onto both bimmerforums & bimmerfest, I have a pretty good amount of people saying they'll last for a long time and its something I should go for...

Doesn't look like they have any more probs than a Supie

??

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I don't know too much about the E36's but I've got a buddy with a E36 M3 that's been 100% problem free.

Aside from electrical issues, I'd say most those older(E30's, E36's...etc) bimmer's are pretty solid IF they are well kept.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
ChadMKIII said:
^Huh???

I've logged onto both bimmerforums & bimmerfest, I have a pretty good amount of people saying they'll last for a long time and its something I should go for...

Doesn't look like they have any more probs than a Supie

??
The e36 was the worst BMW ever made, search the forums.

RTABs
rear shocks ripping out of the frame
interior that falls apart
electrical problems
engine fan explodes
oil pump nut backs out on some engines
plastic radiator neck failure
plastic water pump fins fail
etc etc

So yeah, no worse than a MKIII i guess.

fandffan

Aug 26, 2006
Bowling Green, OH
Friend has one. It gets electrical problems once in a while but It's really nice car. If you want a nice Daily i would recommend it. I do NOT recommend using it for any autosports. If you want a complete luxury car an e28 is always nice. Another friend has one of those 535i (engine is actually3.7), thing halls ass. And is amazingly comfortable to ride in. Either way bmw's are nice cars. And it only has a social status thing when people put that on them.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
BringsMeWomen is bringsmewoman you know... And the social status of them is so fed up here, cause like two of three accidents have BMW involved. And yeah, my mechanic said that BMW has one of the best chassises(?) in the world.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I don't know about the E36, but the E46 is awesome...I drive a 99' 323i when I'm not driving the Supra, and it is great. It's totally reliable, comfortable, and isn't falling apart at all...

p573746_1.jpg

I also almost bought an E30 325Ci instead of the Supra. ;)

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
My friends all have E46's, one with a 325i, one with 325xi, and one with a 330ci.
Can't comment on the E36's too much, I've heard all the problems of them, but others will also say they're mostly trouble unless you take care of a problem instead of letting it escalate... You should know all about that from owning a Supra though.

Supra90

The user from Portugal
Jun 27, 2005
Portugal
supra90.110mb.com
I own a daily-driver 525 TDS (1996 E39, 2.5 liter diesel engine M51D25 with 143hp), stock... and it really is a POS money sucker! It does have lots of electrical problems like:
- termometer is incorrect, always displays negative outside temperatures (even in the summer, with 35ºC);
- the displays seem have erratic behaviours and parts of it get blacked out (more common on the radio display);
- most plastics are definitely bad quality ones, as they break easily (window switch frames, e.g.);
- electronic modules tend to fail (my rear door's power locks and windows, as well as trunk lid, all recently failed);
- headlight housing is extremely fragile and can break when you change bulbs (have to be extremely careful);
Their gasoline engines seem to be quite reliable, but the diesel ones are the worst:
- Diesel pump failed at 140.000km's (2.000€'s for a new one) - it seems to be a recurrent failure;
- Plumbing tends to blow, for no apparent reason;
- Threw up a rod, at around 200.000km's;
For the record, the car had it's maintenance on schedule, at a BMW dealer. Even the dealer acknowledged the existence of problems with the E39, and the M51D25 engine in particular. Don't know if other models have these issues too.
I'm trying to get rid of it anytime soon - my dream is to set it on fire and see it burn and the crushed on a press. Fortunately, I can't ;). Guess it's time to get the cooler Renault Mégane :)