E30 Ethanol Blend

landtoy80

Jul 16, 2007
grand junction, CO
There was a study on E20 and E30 Study Finds Certain Ethanol Blends Can Provide Better Fuel Economy Than Gasoline | Auto Newswire Article from Motor Trend and it showed E30 offered better fuel economy than gasoline (a 1% increase) in both the Toyota and the Ford that was tested.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/newswire/33057/index.html

Anyone try a blend of Ethanol in the Supra?

Will I have to do any changes to the car if I run a E30 blend?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
All gasolines contain ethanol now (in the US), it's used as an octane booster.

I don't know how the hell they got their data because ethanol has less energy than gasoline...

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
landtoy80;1081736 said:
There was a study on E20 and E30 Study Finds Certain Ethanol Blends Can Provide Better Fuel Economy Than Gasoline | Auto Newswire Article from Motor Trend and it showed E30 offered better fuel economy than gasoline (a 1% increase) in both the Toyota and the Ford that was tested.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/newswire/33057/index.html

Anyone try a blend of Ethanol in the Supra?

Will I have to do any changes to the car if I run a E30 blend?

dazzle them with brilliance or baffle them with bullshit......for this thread i pick the later!

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
the other issue

E30

none of the older or even newer ecu will adjust for that.

15% tops but 30? Way out of the range of the O2 delta control. Usually plus minus 15%

now back to mpg

the ONLY way i can see this happening if they take the Diesel route and make a motor that is 100% made for E85 with no thought of ever using gasoline. That means ultra-high compression 12:1 and up, big injectors specific to E85 and ultra-high fuel pressure along with lean cruise.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, but even in that case you're still working with less energy to burn, that's why diesels can get amazing gas milage.

There is only so much energy in the fuel...

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Gasoline has roughly 125000 btu in a gallon and ethanol has about 85000 btu in a gallon, basically gas stations are watering down their gas. Besides, I bet that 1% difference resides is a 2% or greater error in the recordings and/or calculations, making the difference have no real value or meaning at all.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Poodles;1082128 said:
Yep, but even in that case you're still working with less energy to burn, that's why diesels can get amazing gas milage.

There is only so much energy in the fuel...

ahh but energy is only part of the equation.

The other portion which is very important is the combustion efficency and that is where alcohol has always had a huge efficeny advantage. Lower combustion tempratures along with a slew of other things can make ethanol get better MPG than gasoline but as i said before. The motor MUST be 100% designed around ethanol and with 0% useage in gasoline.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Poodles;1082200 said:
Exactly, there just isn't enough energy in it to do the same amount of work more efficently.

It's scientific fact...

no it is your opinon.

The process of Alcohol (ethanol) to CO2 + H2O is more efficent than when using a hydrocarbon. Hence why the heat is no where near as high when using Alcohol v a hydrocarbon based gasoline.