e-manage Ultimate...Yay or nay?

EdgeSupra

Feb 19, 2006
New Jersey
hey guys..
I had heard that the e-Manage Ultimate doesn't have an application for the 7M, but how come MVP has it under its mkIII section? Is it just because its for 1J? If it actually is for the 7M also, how do some of you guys like it?
-Justin

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
i posted an almost SIMILAR question on another forum, but it was in general actually. hope someone here has an educated answer cuz i dont think ill be getting one on the other forum.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
the e-man ultimate and blue doesnt have a base map for the 7m (we do have it for the 1jz and 1g though!) however some people (dr. j iirc) have run the eman blue by using a combination of other motors maps.

trufanatic

THE FLYING TACO!
Apr 9, 2006
WPB FL
MKIIINA said:
the e-man ultimate and blue doesnt have a base map for the 7m (we do have it for the 1jz and 1g though!) however some people (dr. j iirc) have run the eman blue by using a combination of other motors maps.

I've been seeing this question come up alot on this forum, so i'll try to give an educated answer.

The emanage, blue/gold/ultimate does not require "a base map" to run on ANY car. With the proper dip-switch settings to match up with the engine variables is all thats needed along with correct wiring, which you can find for almost any car on the Emanage yahoo groups.

The emanage is not a standalong but yet a step up from the AFC offering timing control. Hook it up, get the settings right and start +/- timing or fuel as you see fit. Also if you have larger injectors over stock, tell the emanage the old size and then the new and it figures out everything for you. The ultimate has a new auto tune feature, when you tell the software what A/F ratio and you want to see either across the RPM range or at 256 RPM points, take the car out and floor it, and the emanage figures everything out and your car is now tuned.

If you havent figure it out im an emanage supporter, people will complain about stuff when they dont get it to work right....Remember the first version on the EMS v.1., no more comments.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Well I have the Eman blue, it works, and it works fine.

I'd like to get rid of the AFM, and also use the autotune AF ratio function the Ulimate offers.

Anyone tried to remove the AFM and use the Ultimate as a speed density setup like they are doing with the Maft Pro? (Should be no reason why it would not work, but the Maft Pro guys are doing it now.)

Also the Ulitmate should control injectors which the Maft Pro can't do yet, and the Ulitmate should be able to control ignition which is tricky on the stock 7MGTE. I've thought about going COP waste fired just to replace the 1988 coils I have with newer ones, and to clean up the engine bay a bit.

In theory, the Eman Ultimate should be able to take over and run your engine above the parameters of the TCCS on air flow numbers and fuel/spark needs. (The idea of just clamping out the TCCS Karman Hz signal so the computer thinks there is no more air coming in does stop the fuel cut, but it also stops adding any fuel injector duty too. And there is no change to the timing either.) Both could be very bad for the engine at higher RPM and higher boost levels.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
i have nothing against the e-man setup and applaude anyone who runs it. however people need torealize that there is alot of work that needs to be put into it and its not plug and play. i dont consider myself up to the challenge of getting it all setup and running on a day to day basis. good luck to anyone who does it.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
i was thinking

the 2jz is a 3.0
it has 440cc injectors
certain years use afm but i believe we can choose 2jz, 440 inj, kv afm, it supports group firing for an inline 6

so i don't see why we can't use it

the only bit i wasn't sure of was cam and crank trigger signals... is crank optional? or must we have both?

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
MKIIINA said:
i have nothing against the e-man setup and applaude anyone who runs it. however people need torealize that there is alot of work that needs to be put into it and its not plug and play. i dont consider myself up to the challenge of getting it all setup and running on a day to day basis. good luck to anyone who does it.

what? have you read about HOW to make the old eman work on the 7M? the install is no different than any other piggyback. certainly not rocket science....there's a HUGE thread on SF and a link on mkiiitech.com....

AFAIK, no one has the eman ult working on the 7M yet. i can't imagine it would be that much more difficult, but who knows.....just use the info from the old eman install and apply it to the eman ult....

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
yes doc and maybe i should have been more specific. the e-man blue has been figured out on how to get it to work and with the write up it becomes everyones knowledge. however i havent seen anyone running the ultimate yet either. i know of one of the local dfw guys has an ultimate but isnt sure he wants to go that route as no one else has messed around with it yet and commented on how it works so far.

the main point i was trying to get across is the lack of a base map to follow right out of the box. {shrug} i guess i dont see a reason for people to be going so nuts on a full featured piggy back as you put it when they could get a AEM EMS which i have seen several cars running. just my 2psi

theDon

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
Speaking about the harness and size of the unit it seems very straight forward to install. I did however get a ECU coupler piece to make installation (and removal) even easier. And the external sensor harnesses for a WB02 or MAP plug right in. You can also log from 60mm peak/hold greddy gauges. But again I'm selling my new GEMU setup to save some $$ going down to SAFC. I have modest plans with my MK3 and my eyes are on getting another MKIV TT someday :)

Last edited:

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
So all in all, the damn thing is worth it if you just don't want to spend that damn much money on a stand alone unit (both, buying it and paying someone to tune it for ya just so you don't end up killing the engine)..... right?

It's cost-effective and worth it?

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
Inygknok said:
So all in all, the damn thing is worth it if you just don't want to spend that damn much money on a stand alone unit (both, buying it and paying someone to tune it for ya just so you don't end up killing the engine)..... right?

It's cost-effective and worth it?

if it works, sure....

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
bcg04 said:
Speaking about the harness and size of the unit it seems very straight forward to install. I did however get a ECU coupler piece to make installation (and removal) even easier. And the external sensor harnesses for a WB02 or MAP plug right in. You can also log from 60mm peak/hold greddy gauges. But again I'm selling my new GEMU setup to save some $$ going down to SAFC. I have modest plans with my MK3 and my eyes are on getting another MKIV TT someday :)

dude,

impatient. Injector direct control v. fooling ecu into lower air.

One does not fuck with ignition (EMU) the other does (SAFC). My advise don't bother with the SAFC-3 though I know you bought it. Sell it. Pointless to "trick" the ecu that way. And that way you have more money (speaking off)....

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
The ultimate should work in the very least the same way the blue did. The real question is whether or not the extra features will work, and will they be easy to setup, i.e. AFM removal.

It all depends on what you're trying to do with the car. If you've got the money to spend and you're trying to squeak every last horsepower out of the car then you really should get a standalone. If you've got a little less money then the blue or ultimate are the best piggybacks you can buy. Personally I'd recommend the blue to most people as the extra features of the ultimate can be very confusing for the average tuner. The ultimate is just another step towards standalone, without actually being a standalone.