E-bay gt-45

Spec-DMK3

D-Spec
Jun 27, 2008
Saskatchewan
got an e bay gt 45 for free was never used.. I had herd that they blow up a little above 20psi has anyone heard of anything like this if you've used one or have one let me know your thoughts is it worth it to use??

2jz88mk3

Dec 31, 2008
GVRA
Spec-DMK3;1478805 said:
got an e bay gt 45 for free was never used.. I had herd that they blow up a little above 20psi has anyone heard of anything like this if you've used one or have one let me know your thoughts is it worth it to use??

I heard this guy used one...

funk1explosion.jpg

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
haha there is tons of proof of the t3/t4 and t70 or super t70's blowing up. but not once have i heard of a gt-45 blowing up. every case that i have read about was due to user error. so if you going to say what most are going to say "that yes they are explosive" then get us some proof and research it first. otherwise i say its a fine turbo

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
RockPaperSwoRD;1479349 said:
same quality, different name.

Okay if you say so. Ebay does not manufacture the parts, they are only a place for people to sell stuff. So don't judge the site off of the people that sell there.

2jz88mk3

Dec 31, 2008
GVRA
2jz88mk3;1478994 said:
I heard this guy used one...

funk1explosion.jpg

MDCmotorsports;1479635 said:
Newbz. Listen here. Turbochargers don't "blow" oil seals.

Second.

The turbochargers found on ebay.... Gt45, t70 etc, are JUNK.

Some explode at 8psi, some at 20psi. All junk.

Proof?

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99494

Thanks MDC, I was looking to post that video last night, but I couldn't find it so i figured the picture would be supplemetry until the video was found.

Spec-DMK3

D-Spec
Jun 27, 2008
Saskatchewan
well maybe i should install it and i'll keep you guys up to date with how it goes i guess you really never know untill you try it many others had experianced failures with ebay turbos but some however worked very well or so i've heard so i'll try it out i think when i build up the courage i supose lol or maybe when its not winter lol

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
All I can say is... scattershield... may want to invest in one just in case... otherwise... why not try it... I mean... really... the only real worry besides the actual turbo exploding and/or catching fire... would be turbo internals flying into the intake manifold shortly after failure... they might get caught by the intercooler... then again... you might not get that lucky...

Ive never had one come apart on me... but Ive seen several fail... ushaully oil seal or bearing failure...

either way... be safe about it... check it and check it often...

otherwise dont risk it... sell it for the $200 that the previous owner has in it and buy a used brand name unit or save your money and buy new...

I bought my genuine garrett gt30 for $600 shipped to the door with less then 5k miles on it... been on my other car for nearly a year without trouble... previous owner didnt like how it spooled on his car...

just a thought
-AcId-

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
Perhaps you could send it into a reputable shop (Performance Techniques, or Driftmotion) and have them rebuild it with quality parts.

Might save you some money over buying a new gt-45 of good quality.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
does the GT45 require the center section to be replaced for a rebuild? I was told that the garrett bb turbochargers basically cant be rebuilt, that you basically have to buy a new centersection which costs pretty close to the cost of a new turbo...

if this isnt true... it would ease my mind about a rebuild later down the road if an issue does come up with mine...

-AcId-