E-bay Bi-Xenon Head Light Kit

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Don't take this the wrong way, but they're absolute garbage. Those "projector" headlights are glare monsters and have no cutoff at all. They're produced in China and would never pass a DOT certification. The HID kit is pretty terrible as well, I have a set of burnt out ones sitting here (one broken bulb and one that was melting the base). It's not proper aiming, even with a good quality housing (Hella E-codes, Cibie, etc) because of the way they're designed. There are requirements of how much light should be going where, and adding a light source that is 3 times brighter produces glare. Not to mention the HID capsule arc is a different shape than a halogen filament meaning it's out of focus (this is made worse by the kit bulbs being very sloppy).

Proper HID's cost $500 or more for a drop in proper projector retrofit. Often they're much much more than that.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Honestly most of the stuff you brought up I have already heard about these cheap kits. But.. they are cheap..

Ive always wanted to try a set just to experience it for myself. If it doesnt work out then Im okay with it and they can sit on the shelf since it only cost $100. Its a different story to go spend 5x the amount for hellas.

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
I bought mine off ebay, there bi xenon and it the included housings and they were only $100 shipped. Install was realy easy and they look great. Ok so i know everyone is going to give me shit sayaing the cutoff sucks and you blind people. but it was only $100 bucks and they look great to me (which is all that matters) and 4 days after I bought them off ebay I had them in my car. Unlike if you do the TSX mod which looks great but costs way more money and by the time your done moding the housings and everything its been 3 months. IMO the ebay kits are a great affordable way of giving our cars HIDs without a bunch of hassel.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Blinding other people is a good way to get into an accident. You're getting worse output than a decent halogen setup (those housings are garbage, they're worse then $20 sealed beams). Trust me, I've been there and tested plug and play kits in different housings. You only think they're better, but they just have blinding glare and massive foreground killing any distance night vision you have. The only way to do it halfway decently is to use good E-codes, D2S/D2R bulbs, and casper shields, but you don't get high beams.

Also, they're illegal.

Give me a day and I'll show you what a real setup looks like. (and no, and retrofit doesn't take 3 months)

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
These by far are not an improvement over the stock 6054 sealed beams. Both of you (enjoi.this & conner) say its only $100 & it looks better to me so it is an improvement over stock. Well its not for the exact reasons as Poodles pointed out. Your Ebay set ups do not have properly aimed, focused & directed light. What you have is bright scattered light that is not directed or focused on the road where you need it. Instead your blinding oncoming traffic lighting up tree tops & 2nd or 3rd story buildings. You could have effectively improved the stock lighting by adding additional ground wire or replacing the stock headlamp wiring with new heaver gauge wire & adding a relay. Search Daniel Stern Upgrade. Also you can get a set of Sylvania Silver Star 6054 4000k Sealed beams for $45. So for $55 for proper sealed beams, wiring & relay you can have lighting thats nearly 50% brighter Aimed, focused & directed correctly.

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
True the light output is worse over stock but I wasnt trying to improve the stock light output I wanted HIDs. And Steve you are right my setup was aimed very high but all I had to do was aim them down. I purchesed the HID kit for looks not for an improvment over the factory headlights. So if you want HIDs because they make your car look way cooler at night buy an ebay kit. If you want to do it the CORRECT way lol go all out and mod the housings.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Heh I used to think that it only mattered that the lights looked cool to me... till I had an angry guy in a pickup truck (that was in front of me) pull over, wait for me to pass, then chase me down and try to run me off the road. I was lucky my car was faster than his truck, and I knew the back roads in the area, or who knows what that nut job would have done. Some people get really, really angry when you annoy the hell out of them with modified lights.

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
The best cost efficient route is to get a cheap H4 HID kit and use them in Hella E-Code headlamp conversions to replace the horrible OEM units. This way you dont spend a lot on the HID system, and you use a quality headlamp housing to project the light in a proper way down the road and out of peoples eyes/.

CharlesM

Apr 25, 2011
windsor, ontario
Steve_N;1704600 said:
These by far are not an improvement over the stock 6054 sealed beams. Both of you (enjoi.this & conner) say its only $100 & it looks better to me so it is an improvement over stock. Well its not for the exact reasons as Poodles pointed out. Your Ebay set ups do not have properly aimed, focused & directed light. What you have is bright scattered light that is not directed or focused on the road where you need it. Instead your blinding oncoming traffic lighting up tree tops & 2nd or 3rd story buildings. You could have effectively improved the stock lighting by adding additional ground wire or replacing the stock headlamp wiring with new heaver gauge wire & adding a relay. Search Daniel Stern Upgrade. Also you can get a set of Sylvania Silver Star 6054 4000k Sealed beams for $45. So for $55 for proper sealed beams, wiring & relay you can have lighting thats nearly 50% brighter Aimed, focused & directed correctly.

wheres a good place to get them i was just looking at the ebay ones , then i came across this lol, thanks.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Skip the Silverstars. They have a coating on them that cuts their lumens, and then they're overdriven to try and account for it leading to short bulb life. You're paying double for a light that's no better.

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
/\ You may be thinking of the sylvania cool blue H6054cb which have a 3500K raiting. The Silverstar Sealed beam (Stock Replacement) is 4000K which is the brightest I have seen. Ref the chart below:

Graphic-12-A-%28POG-Comparision-CEE-LIGHT%29-outlined%20c03463ba-a6ac-49fd-bd72-79482981014e.jpg

Best bang for the buck (About $50) is what I suggested. The Next step I agree with HIDPlanet on using the Hella E-Code but with a good quality H4 bulb, & upgraded wiring. I think the only way to run HID's on our cars are to retrofit them into an H4housing as poodles, myself & a few other have done.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No, the best out of that bunch is the xtravision. Regardless, there are better bulbs made, just not as easy to get (like a certain Osram bulb that's crazy bright)