Dyed my interior carpets BLACK - - what do you think?

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
87M-GTE;1595720 said:
Looks awesome!
I'll have to do this someday, What product did you use?
Cool seats too, what model? Did you have to make custom brackets?

Sam
thanks, product was valled VHT vinyl dye - i'm not sure if they sell it in America though? Bought it here in Adelaide (Australia) from a local auto shop, was 17 AUD for a can. As for the Recaros, they are SR3 (same seats that come in later model JDM JZA80 RZs. However I picked them up from a wrecker (in excellent condition) and they came with rails from an R32 GT-R. All I had to do was swap my rails from my old school recaros onto the bottom to make them a straight bolt up :)

MrTristoe;1595907 said:
Looks awesome man!
I was wondering what brand dye did you use?
as above :)

cerealkilla;1595938 said:
+1

you should dye your entire interior black while your this far ;)
I was thinking of this some time ago, but i'm not confident it would hold up over time (especially in the areas that touch your arms - door trims, centre consol etc), so i think ill just stick with the carpets as there is nothing worse than a poorly painted interior that has wear marks!

mecevans;1596081 said:
full black on black would kill it. Do the carpet on the doors and that would be hot.
I agree, I need to do the carpet on the door to finish it off but I ran out of product. Will have to buy another can and do it next time im "in the zone". DIY only works for me when i'm motivated lol

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
VHT vinyl dye works very well. It IS expensive per can and I recommend a respirator if you use a couple of cans indoors; all the flat surfaces will be heavily coated in fallout.

I did dye my interior black with it. I did wash the pieces and spray them down with VHT's vinyl prep or whatever. All the softer plastics took on the dye well, no sign of wear years later.
However, the harder plastics of the hatch area will flake and chip with moderate use.

I left my carpet, panel inserts, door handles, armrests, lock bezels, door carpets the oem medium grey. Black with gray trim looks very nice :)

I'm diggin the OP's interior because the dark carpet helps shift focus higher to the lighter grey, highlights it.

Thats one clean interior, dude.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
How's the material feel now that it's painted? I used AutoMagic Vinyl paint on my interior. Vinyl panels came out great, however, where I sprayed down the rear head liner it feels like sandpaper. I could only get the paint to sit on top of the fibers. I ended up recovering the hatch, lower doors and floor with new carpet.

Last edited:

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Friend of mine that works at a body shop as a "Shooter" says that he used "Bulldog as a adhearing agent between the plastic panels and the vinyl paint.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
MarkIII4Me;1596295 said:
How's the material feel now that it's painted. I used AutoMagic Vinyl paint on my interior? Vinyl panels came out great, however, where I sprayed down the rear head liner it feels like sandpaper. I could only get the paint to sit on top of the fibers. I ended up recovering the hatch, lower doors and floor with new carpet.

Feels a little bit coarser in some areas but not like sandpaper. It's just trim carpet, not planning on rolling around on it whilst naked :p

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
I dyed mine a few years ago, it was a pain to do though because of the way I went about doing it. What I did was use a paint gun to spay dye onto the carpet in concentrated form, you are supposed to use a mixture of one bottle to 2 gallons, I just used it straight. Anyways after letting it soak and dry for a few days I hosed the dye off and began scrubbing the carpet and rinse and repeat. After two applications it looked very nice. Also I took wet white rags when done and wiped down the whole carpet to make sure none of the dye would come out of the carpet. I was surprised the dye worked as well as it did on the synthetic fiber the carpet is. But I figured it was worth a shot because I bought the car from my brother and his kid left a box of open markers on the floorboard and it stained the passenger and rear carpet. Yay tie dye haha.
Now I have done the spay can dyes too, in my experience they leave the carpet stiff and need to be brushed down after doing it so it will soften it. Also if you rub on it too much you will pull some of the inner fibers out and you will see the original color showing through some. Now for head liners if you spray them and wipe them down to soften them it turns out great. I dont know how the stains got on the headliner but I am guessing the kids.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
GrimJack;1595776 said:
Those are the Recaro seats that came with the Supra... as long as you lived in a country with right hand drive and bought the right model. :) So, obviously, no custom brackets.

Those are MKIV Recaro seats. The MK3 Recaro seats are quite a bit different.

Jeff

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
^^ thats correct but its actually just a generic recaro SR3 - they put SR3s in all sorts of makes and models, although i'm not sure if this material/colour scheme was available in anything but the MKIV. In any case, as I said, the rails from my old school recaros bolted straight onto the bottom of these so I was quite happy.

usdm_anon

Mar 20, 2010
Madison, WI
i would love to try this but do you think it will look okay with the red interior, theres too much red in my car, im also doing my headliner a suede gray