DWY (driving while young) should I tint?

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
Hello supramania. I just got screwed big time because I look young. Was driving past curfew, perfectly, soberly, and got busted for curfew. They can literally pull me over past curfew because I look young even if you're of age. I've been pulled over 6 times in two years and five of those were for bogus violations. I'm sick of this, and I can't afford a second ticket.

I have a theory, should I go legal tint on my windows. I believe its 35% all the way around except windshield. I could do it myself for around fifty bucks. My theory is that if they can't see how young I am so easily, maybe they won't pull me over. Would it help me, hurt me, or not make a difference? My car is licensed to my name and it is a little beat up here and there.

Do mkiiis have factory tint? I NEED to know this because cops arouns here have tint checkers and that 5% could get me a ticket. I know the glass has some funny blue polarization on it but would that lower the tint. I NEED to be legal or they will ticket me for sure. Thanks guys.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Grab a couple of different samples of film take them to the police station tell them you want to make it legal and ask if they can use their tint checker to work out which film is right.

Most times if you ask for help you'll get it they're NOT the enemy.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
3458_35.JPG

Or get a nice comb over wig and wear it after curfew hours. It's the cheapest solution I can think of.

Comb-Over-Wig.jpg

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I remember my DWY days. I hated that shit. Now I'm an old fart.

You know, I really would sport that comb over after hours. And when the cops pull you over and ask WTF are you doing tell them you have to wear it because you always get pulled over for curfew violation. See what they say.

Last edited:

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
Where I come from sarcasm is a mandatory court date (well, you get the point). I really enjoyed the judges lecture, however, about how dangerous it is for young people to drive at night and how at any second I could have been distracted by one of the corn stalks along the side of the road and hit a mailbox which most likely would have been a fatal crash. Good to know that stuff. I'm so lucky that the kind officer took it upon himself to pull a u-turn and follow me for three miles before pulling me over just to make sure my vehicle was safely operating.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
hey...it runs;1814087 said:
IJ. I think that's a fantastic idea. I think I will try that!
It also arms you for future stops if the Officer is on his rags and decides to hassle you just say that so and so officer checked the tint's legality BEFORE you installed it ;)

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Suprapowaz!(2);1814091 said:
I remember my DWY days. I hated that shit. Now I'm an old fart.

You know, I really would sport that comb over after hours. And when the cops pull you over and ask WTF are you doing tell them you have to wear it because you always get pulled over for curfew violation. See what they say.

Lol

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
As hilarious as this has been, I still haven't really had my questions answered. I guess that means you guys are neutral on it? And does the mkiii have factory tint or darkening?

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Note from an eye doctor here will get you away with almost black windows. Why are you out so late? If you work or go to school late, there is a way to have curfew extended.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I wouldn't recomend tinting the windows yourself, it will look much better if you take it to a profesional shop. On my car the windows are tinted to %32, which is the legal limit in Alabama. The windows do have a little bit of a tint on them from the factory, but when you take it to the shop just make sure that they know that you don't want it any darker than the legal limit. When I dropped mine off they didn't realize the windows had a slight tint in them and I ended up getting the heat reducing ceramic tint for the same price as the regular stuff since they didn't measure the level of the factory tint first, and had to put on something lighter (the ceramic tint) to get it right at the legal limit. The tint does make it much harder to see in the car, but it doesn't affect my visibility from inside the car.

Here is a picture for reference. My shop also gave me a card saying it is legal, and I keep the recipt in my car just incase a cop thinks it is to dark.
p1814111_1.jpg

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Depends... in my area, tint is simply police bait. They are of the opinion that there is no valid reason to have tinted windows, anyone who does must be trying to hide from the police, so cars with tint get pulled over basically on sight.

In Arizona, cars without tint are rare... I suspect that a car without tint in the noonday sun can spontaneously combust.

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
Yeah. That's what I've heard. Unfortunately I'm an honest person and told him a was just visiting a friend who was back from college. No I didn't smell like smoke and yes I was sober. But yeah, could have probably just lied my way out but I didn't.

And good to know. I was just reading into detail on the tint laws. I NEED to do the right. But I really don't want to get pulled over more.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
hey...it runs;1814082 said:
Hello supramania. I just got screwed big time because I look young. Was driving past curfew, perfectly, soberly, and got busted for curfew.

If you are not to young to be past curfew, why do you care? You didn't get a ticket after you proved it with your license, right?

They can literally pull me over past curfew because I look young even if you're of age.

What other standard should they use? Do it like those clowns called the TSA and randomly check every 8th person?

My theory is that if they can't see how young I am so easily, maybe they won't pull me over.

I'm sure that will fool 'em.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Unless you live in a place where tint is basically mandatory, ie high altitude or out west with horrific sun, you don't need a tint. To me it looks retarded most of the time.

Now, the more important fact is that you broke the law. Are curfews retarded? Yes indeed. But there is a curfew in your area, you broke it, and you got caught. Instead of trying to AGAIN break the law and get away with it, just follow it. You have only a few years until you aren't affected by curfew. You've dealt with at least 16 years of not being able to drive at all, so you can deal with 2 years of not driving past a certain hour.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
GrimJack;1814112 said:
In Arizona, cars without tint are rare... I suspect that a car without tint in the noonday sun can spontaneously combust.

I love Arizona for this one point. I can go almost as dark as i want and i have never been hassled about it ever.

My 1989 Supra came with Maroon Window tint from the factory and let me tell you it was a bitch to get off lol