Duplicolor paint shop paints review/write up

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
Let's start by saying it's not bad paint for price and brand. I'm not a complete duplicolor fan but they do have some decent products. This paint needs no thinning/reducing in fact as I discovered if you do add reducer you get a cracked paint job. Sprays nice and even although what they refer to a a metallic is more like a candy. It's really thin and actually has pearl in it, not metallic. I used the Molten Red Metallic for the color coat. The clear coat I used again said metallic but had pearl unit instead. I used the Metallic Clear Coat. It laid down smooth and needed very little wet sanding. Polished it with my buffer on low speed then higher speed to polish the compound off. I used the meguiars polishing compound as most meguiars products it performed as expected. I used 2 quarts of paint and 2 quarts of clear. When I sand it all down and re spray I will use same colors but new gun and no reducer. I plan on buying 1 gallon each of Metallic Clear and Molten red metallic. I also plan on laying down 2 qts of performance red first to try and achieve a deeper color.

All in all I'd say the paint is worth the small investment of $25/qt. Turned out really nice in most areas. For a budget DIY paint job it's worth a look and a try.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
muta9a7u.jpg
y7a6y8u2.jpg
u7yvunyj.jpg
8esuny6e.jpg
ha5eme9e.jpg
y2avu4an.jpg

This is some of the cracks I talked about. This is also the worst spot.
e8emata2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
I wish I had a compressor big enough to power a paint gun. I've been buying cans of Duplicolor Dark Grey Metallic on Amazon, to paint the bad spots on my Supra Chump Car build. Since the car will probably get beat to crap on the racetrack, I'm not going for a perfect finish, but matching the original color was important since the only real bad areas were the nose, hood, and roof. I also had to paint the floors since I removed all of the interior.

So far I have used 16 cans and still have more to go, so I really wish I had a bigger compressor. :)