Dumb question.....again!

RM777

GO OILERS GO!
May 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The belt that drives the alternator, and whatever else, what is it called? Alternator drive belt? Is it like a serpentine belt? Should I get one from Toyota, or NAPA? Thanks for your help guys. Always appreciated.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
That sounds like a question a drunk would ask ;)

Yeah, it's called a drive belt depending on which one you mean. No, it's not a serpetine belt. Get 'em anywhere. I use geunine Toyo myself because not all belts are created equal but that's just me. Oh, and check the idler bearing when you have the A/C one off.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
if you say the alternator belt they'll know what your talking about

you can get it from toyota, napa, autozone... pretty much any auto store should have one that works.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Jeez mate, you're coming across as a bit helpless. It's a drive belt, aka, fan belt. Just go to a dealer or any parts store and tell them what you need, they'll do the rest. Or bring the old belt in with you. Do yourself a favor and order a service manuual while you're at it. The Toyo parts list is online if you really want to know the part number but it's not needed:

http://tinyurl.com/fkcqn

I suppose those belts could be used in a serpentine application but they're not in this case.

RM777

GO OILERS GO!
May 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
jetjock said:
Jeez mate, you're coming across as a bit helpless. It's a drive belt, aka, fan belt. Just go to a dealer or any parts store and tell them what you need, they'll do the rest. Or bring the old belt in with you. Do yourself a favor and order a service manuual while you're at it. The Toyo parts list is online if you really want to know the part number but it's not needed:

http://tinyurl.com/fkcqn

I suppose those belts could be used in a serpentine application but they're not in this case.

My Supra is the first car I have ever worked on....I do have the service manual, but I want to make sure I get the right belt as I have heard many horror stories about parts stores including Toyota. I'm just making sure......

RM777

GO OILERS GO!
May 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
jetjock said:
I understand and your question wasn't dumb. But I gave you all you needed to know and then some and you come back with the same question. It implies I wasted my time answering you to begin with.

If it drives the alternator it must be an alternator belt. If it makes the A/C compressor go round it must be an A/C belt. If it drives the power steering pump it must be (smacks forehead) a power steering belt. Then you want to know the cost? Maybe you'd also like one of us to come up there and put the belt on for you? I know you're in the Great White North and all but last time I checked they had telephones. And we're talking about an automotive consumable here like tires, oil, filters, batteries, ect so you don't need to be Indiana Jones to track one down.

Ah well, maybe I'm just having a bad day ;)

Sorry about your day...The reason I wanted to clarify is that I noticed that the alternator belt also seems to drives the cooling fan. I was appreciative of you helping me out, I even gave you rep points. There is no need to be sarcastic, as some of us on these boards are not mechanically inclined. I am just here to try and learn about my car and save a few bucks on labor. BTW, I hope your day gets better! :drink1:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
jetjock said:
I understand and your question wasn't dumb. But I gave you all you needed to know and then some and you come back with the same question. It implies I wasted my time answering you to begin with.

If it drives the alternator it must be an alternator belt. If it makes the A/C compressor go round it must be an A/C belt. If it drives the power steering pump it must be (smacks forehead) a power steering belt. Then you want to know the cost? Maybe you'd also like one of us to come up there and put the belt on for you? I know you're in the Great White North and all but last time I checked they had telephones. And we're talking about an automotive consumable here like tires, oil, filters, batteries, ect so you don't need to be Indiana Jones to track one down.

Ah well, maybe I'm just having a bad day ;)

.........::sigh::

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jetjock again.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
My apologies to all. I'm only human. I'll make her pay for it later. BF, I know we've all been "there" but as one ages you get to be there more. One would think that gives a little immunity but sometimes it feels just the opposite is true ;)

Last edited: