Dual stock 7MGTE AFM's and 880's Is it possible?

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Here is a question for you guys. (I have thought about this for many years, but never tried to see if it will work.)

Run 880cc injectors, a Walbro pump and to meter the air, use two stock 7MGTE AFM's, but only pull the signal from one of them. (In theory, it should give you 1/2 the airflow reading for the TCCS.)

Both AFM's have sensors, and the air screws are set to the same depth, so the amount of air each flows is the same.

The air filter would be mounted on a 4" ID pipe, that is necked out to a flat plate with two retangular holes cut, along with the bolts to mount the AFM's. (So the honeycomb screen sides would be mounted to this flat plate, the AFM's back to back, one up, and the other sensor facing down, so you can get them close, but not touching, and allow room for the two 3" hose connectors on the other side.)

On the "exit" side of the AFM's, fabricate a 3" dual to single 4" "Y" pipe. This is then tied into a 4" feed pipe that hooks up to a 4" inlet turbo. (And has the BOV port(s) and PCV port, as well as a ISC port if you still run that.

Just like stock, all metered air would be in that intake pipe, and any bypass air would be put back there as well, so the TCCS would not be confused.

In theory, the TCCS would "see" the same Hertz rate needed to calculate the fuel, since the injectors are now 2x as large as stock.

And the fuel cut should be up near 24psi or perhaps even more as I was able to boost 12 psi easy on the stock AFM and 440's with no fuel cut. (At about 15psi, it would fuel cut all the time, and inbetween 12 and 15, it would cut if there was a spike the stock CT26 waste gate could not deal with. I think the stock waste gate is on the small side, and it's limited in how much it can open, no problem with 12psi or less, but a problem when you start to run higher boost pressure, and the exhaust gas pressure/volume increases as a result.)

Of course, a setup like this would have a larger turbo, and a better waste gate design. (Easy to handle say 21 psi on what is basicly a stock TCCS, and perhaps a Super AFC to fine tune, with an Ebay manifold, medium sized T4 turbo, and a solid motor with metal head gasket etc.)

What do you guys think? Any TCCS issues I have not considered? I'm wondering if it can even calculate at that low of a hertz rate for the rpm?

It would in theory, be about 1/2 of what stock is. So, if stock it's 34hertz at 2000rpm, on cruise control at 70mph, it would be about 17hertz at 2000rpm on cruise control at 70mph.

The trick is, when you are WOT, and 1250hertz boosting at 4500rpm, it's going to be about 625hertz at the same boost pressure, and 4500rpm.

The guy who's going to do this is at the stage where he's either going to buy 550's and run a Lexus meter, or go this route, and we fabricate the mounts/Y pipe needed with 880's. (We have the two stock meters/sensors.)

Now, I've run the MAFTpro with 53% mainscale removed on 780s, so I think the stock TCCS can cope with this type of hertz rate change, but I want to make sure before this guy buys a set of 880cc injectors he will not use if it does not work.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. :)

enawazh

May 8, 2007
long beach
question?

1. You mentioned pulling signal from one AFM. What is the second AFM doing? IS it connected in series to the first one ,parrallel??

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
2nd AFM is just for airflow consistency/halving- it won't even be plugged in. He's trying to get exactly 1/2 the normal flowso he can run double-sized injectors!

Very interesting idea, too!

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
very interesting idea. sneaking twice the fuel and air into the engine. could be on to something, only trick is will it work in practice.

the resulting a/f ratio will be interesting to see. may take a few tries to perfect this, but since one is a dummy anyways, it can be a dead afm.

only problem i can see at this stage is can the stock rail and fpr keep up to the 880's, may have to go aftermarket fpr, if you havnt already (double size injectors = double the fuel required)

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
now my only qestion on this one is going to be about your idle and all, cause remember, while you do have 880CC injectors, and you are going to have twice the air flow.. at boost.. but what about idle, cause your still going to be flowing double the fuel at idle arnt you? or are you going to simple piggy to tune the idle back down with the larger injectors pulses?

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
The AFM's are going to be sending the signal to the ECU so it will show only that much airflow.. Basically it will be the same as running 440's and a stock AFM.. It will just be tricking the ECU if it actually works.. And with a piggyback you should never touch the idle and low throttle map otherwise the ECU will relearn its tune and the VF will go back to what its happy at..

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Two things that I'd be concerned with.
1. Idle... I'm not sure the stock setup will go that low.
2. Timing. And I'd be more worried about this. I'm certain that, while we can go +25% without much concern, there's no way the stock ECU has timing maps for +100%.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
you could make it work has been done in the past with other cars

timing issue is not really much of concer really you not really changeing any thing to much just has to be blanced and you can still dump the baseing timing down if you have knock issue or per ignition raise it

ideal should be the same your still using the stock throttle body so ii should be fine far as i can see

go try it

Last edited:

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
How would it be setup? Two seperate pipes that collect into one and then it feeds into the turbo? I can picture how that might work with a large turbo ......

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
after a bit of thinking this should work

is it the best who knows might have over fueling isue at start up

and fule cut would be stuiped high

some try it on there beater and just run 2 sets of 440's

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
@nash
LOL you do mean 1 set of 880's or up to 1000cc injectors..... I dont want to see someone trying actually to run 12 single 440 injectors and calling it an efficient or good mod :)

In theory it should work, because your just doing the lex afm mod on a larger level. Nissan guys do it also, 240 swap to 300zx mafs and injectors all the time. But with this setup of two lex afm's tricking the ecu I don’t think tuning should be to hard once you figure out the base fuel pressure. There can only be so much air flowing through the pipes so I assume that tuning would be very similar to 1 lex afm.

But is it even worth the effort to try this when they are so many other options out there? It seems like we are stuck on old technology and how we can prove that our 80's stuff is still competing today. I dont see how this would be better than any of the options out there already. Lets say you get 2 Lex AFM for $100 together, then pipes, the time to fab it up, and the time to tune it. I can see that being $300+ real quick. A maf-t II is less than that and without the effort.........

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
naaa 12 440 could be done really cheeply and stock afm houseings are cheep too

i kinda wan try thid if i had time to waste