Dual 12" Tire well enclosure.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Well guys im at it finally. I have finally saved up the cash to build a custom enclosure for my 2 RE's to go in the spare tire well and also incorporate an amp rack for the 2 amps i have...

I so far just have the bas molded in and a sheet of MDF mounted to it. Im in the process of mounting the rings and figuring exactly what i want the box to look like, as well as getting the proper displacement set, which should be around 3.2 cu/ft.

Here are some pics for now, and plenty more to come!

Whats to go in!
p1064905_1.jpg

The glass tub.
p1064905_2.jpg

p1064905_3.jpg

p1064905_4.jpg

p1064905_5.jpg

Mounted to the MDF
p1064905_6.jpg

p1064905_7.jpg

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Damn, that was my next box idea. You stole it from my head ;)

If you hammered out the tire support, you would have gotten a little more volume, and some more mounting depth should you want to place a sub in the center.

Care to post your measurements of the volume of that spare tire well? I imagine it being close to 1.2 cubes.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Wow, your getting 3.2 cu/ft. When I built my 8 sided box out of mbf to fit in the wheel well I think I wa sonly able to get 2 or so cu/ft. Vary nice start, cant wait to see the pics of the progress and the finished product.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
92nsx;1066700 said:
Wow, your getting 3.2 cu/ft. When I built my 8 sided box out of mbf to fit in the wheel well I think I wa sonly able to get 2 or so cu/ft. Vary nice start, cant wait to see the pics of the progress and the finished product.

I did the same thing. An 8 sided box with the spare tire hold down removed and the floor pounded flat gave me just over 1.8cuft interior volume on my sub box, just big enough for my infinty 10" DVC.

Im having a hard time visualizing how you are gonna fit 2 12's

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
here is my build thread when I did my single 12 the box has just over 2CF and still sticks up above the stock height. but for a single 12 it hammers real nice.

Build Thread

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Well guys i think you arent seeing the bigger picture just yet, stay posted and youll see what exactly im doing. The subs arent going to be sitting flush with the MDF. The just wont fit. Nor will the subs be mounted directly over the tire well, they will be facing forward more so than up towards the glass.

Then incorporated into the fiber-glass box i will flush mount in an amp rack either for my 2 channel amp or the mono-block power the subs... I havent decided which amp will go on the flush rack.

Anyways, im glad you guys like it and appreciate the enthusiasm and i hope to get some more work done on this box tomorrow night, maybe i can get the rings mounted in place and the amp rack set where its to go...

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Well i have framed in the 2 subs and the amp racks i wanted. Glasses them in to strengthen it all, so now all thats left is to stretch the felt over all of it and do some final layers! Heres some pics to keep you guys happy!

Let me know what you think.

p1070853_1.jpg

p1070853_2.jpg

p1070853_3.jpg

p1070853_4.jpg

Oh and a little painting i did on the calipers after i rebuilt them last week.

p1070853_5.jpg

p1070853_6.jpg

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
ahhhh...yes I see now where ypu are getting the volume. Although now Im wondering why even use the spare tire space at all. but that looks cool...if you are into that sort of thing. FAR too obtrusive for me. Im just more about the stealth look.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
***update

Well i got the felt stretched over the fram and resin applied. I ran out of resin so the project is on hold till next paycheck... I decided how im going to run the wires, but you will just have to wait and see how thats done, i dont feel like explaining.

p1073263_1.jpg

p1073263_2.jpg

p1073263_3.jpg

Updates will follow when i make more progress.... In the mean time thanks for all the suppord, opinions and discriminations!

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Update**

Well i am getting ever so close to being done. All i have left now is to put one final layer of glass on the box, then i get to bondo/filler the out side and sand it smotth then its ready for paint! :)

Here are a few pics of the box so far. There is about 3-4 layers of glass on the box as of now. Its pretty solid and virtually has no flex at all when you press on it with your finger. So im doing one more layer and then i think it should be good.

p1077049_1.jpg

p1077049_2.jpg

p1077049_3.jpg

Sparkynutz

Sad previous supra owner
Feb 27, 2006
Waupun, WI
GrimJack;1077113 said:
Nicely done, both of you.

Care to post finished weights? ;)

lol! weights. my box with sub in it is 74lbs. and is roughly .9cuft.
it would be a little lighter if I didnt go way overkill reinforcing the heck out of it with like 10 layers or so of fiberglass. It was my first fiberglass box and didnt realize how strong this stuff actually was. I could probably run it over with my truck and not crack it. I'm planning on making another one a lot lighter for a shallow mount 8 or 10" sub that sits flush with the carpet instead of sticking up like my 10w7 does. its also a little overkill for my actual listening tastes. lesson learned... anybody wanna buy it?

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Ill surely post weight when done. but from the feel of it, the box probably weighs about 65-75lbs so far.... lol :( Then each sub weighs 26lbs, and the 2 amps i have are about another 15lbs.

Audio man, you did very nice glass work. I wish i had only spend a little more time on the actual tire well, you layed everything very smooth on yours, mine was done very quickly and poorly, i have a bunch of bubbles in mine which look terrible. But anyways yours looks great!

Maybe for a nice 10" to sit flush you could consider an Image Dynamics IDQ 10". They are compared to the JL W6v2, but a good bit cheaper... ID ftw.