DSL Modem Education

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I just signed up for CenturyTel DSL 40mbps down the other day. I want to buy my own modem so I don't have to rent theirs. I looked on NewEgg and I'm seeing speed limitations on the Modems which kind of surprised me. Am I reading the specs correctly? Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825112005 Headline says 24mbps downstream. Am I understanding correctly that this modem will not take full advantage of my 40mbps allowance from CenturyTel because it's limited to 24mbps?

I could understand a 24MB limitation but 24mb? Really???

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
It's high for ADSL, not VDSL. (I have VDSL at the house, we have 24mb service). VDSL is capable of speeds well over 100mbps.

However there's a lot of stuff out there that is marketed as "DSL" but it's really VDSL, but even that has varying technologies (FiOS, FTTN, FTTP, MoCA, etc)

To the OP, we really need to know what the true nature of the service is, that modem you linked may not even work with the service depending on what it is.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Supracentral;1773120 said:
It's high for ADSL, not VDSL. (I have VDSL at the house, we have 24mb service). VDSL is capable of speeds well over 100mbps.

However there's a lot of stuff out there that is marketed as "DSL" but it's really VDSL, but even that has varying technologies (FiOS, FTTN, FTTP, MoCA, etc)

To the OP, we really need to know what the true nature of the service is, that modem you linked may not even work with the service depending on what it is.

Ahhh. So more than likely I'm getting VDSL. It's through CenturyLink who recently purchased Qwest. I don't know any more details than that. I'm renting a modem for the first month, it's only 5.99. I'd rather just buy my own if I'm going to be sticking with them for a while. Thanks for clearing up the differences, I was a little confused at that for a while. I'll go do a bit more reading now.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Could that explain that while one pays for 20mbps service, you only get between 7-10mbps? That's the boat I'm in. Always figured it was like the old 56k modems, where you were limited to 53.something.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
te72;1773356 said:
Could that explain that while one pays for 20mbps service, you only get between 7-10mbps? That's the boat I'm in. Always figured it was like the old 56k modems, where you were limited to 53.something.

Possible. But it's probably just your ISP not living up to their end of the bargain. I'd bitch at them and make them fix it and/or give you a discount for only getting 1/2 of what you're paying for.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IBoughtASupra;1773433 said:
I have Verizon Fios. I pay for 15/5 and I get 25/4.5 according to Speedtest.net.
Lucky!

Supracentral;1773430 said:
Possible. But it's probably just your ISP not living up to their end of the bargain. I'd bitch at them and make them fix it and/or give you a discount for only getting 1/2 of what you're paying for.
Well, for the time being, I'm only paying 1/2 of their regular rate as part of a promotion. Not unhappy with the service as a whole, and reading through the fine print, it specifically calls out that "speeds are based on ideal conditions, and that they are *up to* what you're paying for. Still, you have a valid point, I'll look into it a bit. Buddy of mine in IT might be able to explain our local situation.