Dropped my crank!

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
To all who have experience with this or work with bottom ends FREQUENTLY:

I took my motor apart last week and have had my crank sitting in my block since, no main caps.

A friend came over tonight and I rotated my stand (!!!) forgetting the crank was just resting, and it fell. It fell about two feet to my garage floor. None of the journal surfaces touched, aside from the rear main seal surface.

This is the bad scratch - I think it's on the other side of the seal but feel free to give your 2 cents:

p1372756_1.jpg

The next here is the dent that occurred on the seal surface. It takes up about half of the seal surface, so I don't know if it's a deal breaker or not. It is right on the red mark (the color of my engine stand, dur)

p1372756_2.jpg

Aside from surface defects, would this instantly bend the crank? What are my options? I can give it to a machine shop to check it, but if I need another I assume it's better to buy a used crank? But the that has to be checked and maybe ground/machined.

I'd really appreciate some feedback from someone with experience and not just "I heard".

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
When I was in school the group beside me dropped there cam and crank about 4 feet of a cart. Amazinly the BOTH "V" blocked ok, they were out of a Detroit 4 banger though, bit more beefy. Get it v blocked at a machine shop and just hold your breath. As for the seal surface, it'd have to see it in person to make a call. Good luck dude...won't do that again.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
dumbo;1372767 said:
When I was in school the group beside me dropped there cam and crank about 4 feet of a cart. Amazinly the BOTH "V" blocked ok, they were out of a Detroit 4 banger though, bit more beefy. Get it v blocked at a machine shop and just hold your breath. As for the seal surface, it'd have to see it in person to make a call. Good luck dude...won't do that again.

I will be v-blockin tomorrow. In either case, i'll talk to the machinest and get an opinion. I bet having it checked by him would be pricey, but i'll look at all options. I wouldn't fret over it but too many people say to not even store it without hanging it or supporting by the bearings so I would think a drop would be pretty bad.

Calling all builders...

IJ?

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
87witmoreboost;1372798 said:
I will be v-blockin tomorrow. In either case, i'll talk to the machinest and get an opinion. I bet having it checked by him would be pricey, but i'll look at all options. I wouldn't fret over it but too many people say to not even store it without hanging it or supporting by the bearings so I would think a drop would be pretty bad.

Calling all builders...

IJ?

It shouldn't be pricey if he's a decent guy, maybe charge you one hour shop rate. If he feels for you a nice guy would do it for free. As long as he has V blocks, and a dial indicator.

http://cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=83

I'm sure you've read that, but I'm curious is that for the 6M or 7M crank?

Last edited:

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
dumbo;1372821 said:
It shouldn't be pricey if he's a decent guy, maybe charge you one hour shop rate. If he feels for you a nice guy would do it for free. As long as he has V blocks, and a dial indicator.

Sounds about right. I have v-blocks and a dial I can grab from work. I will do it tomorrow and post results. This is a good idea because it's really unlikely that a rod bearing surface would be bent if it dials out within spec on a main bearing surface. I don't even know how a shop would measure a rod bearing surface. And I of course don't mean surface finish - just if they are straight.

I'll dial it tomorrow and see how it goes.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
87witmoreboost;1372828 said:
Sounds about right. I have v-blocks and a dial I can grab from work. I will do it tomorrow and post results. This is a good idea because it's really unlikely that a rod bearing surface would be bent if it dials out within spec on a main bearing surface. I don't even know how a shop would measure a rod bearing surface. And I of course don't mean surface finish - just if they are straight.

I'll dial it tomorrow and see how it goes.

Read this, its run out your concered about with the fall. You need a PERFECTLY(I think) level surface, V blocks, and a mag base dial indicator.

.0024" isn't a lot...

http://cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=83

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
I received recently crank by mail and woman in the post office dropped it from the shelf in front of me :icon_mad:
I took it to the crankshaft guy, he measured 0.12mm radial runout. TSRM specs 0.06mm max. The guy took the hammer and gave few blows to the crank. It took him less then 5 minutes to bring it to 0.025mm out of straightness :icon_bigg

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
I would think it would be ok. These iron blocks support the crank a lot when there caped in, not like the Honda's I use to work on, where it's the crank that supports the block. In the Honda world your crank must be perfect for a great build.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
staticpage;1372963 said:
I would think it would be ok. These iron blocks support the crank a lot when there caped in, not like the Honda's I use to work on, where it's the crank that supports the block. In the Honda world your crank must be perfect for a great build.

WTF are you on about?

In ANY engine other than one with roller bearings the Crank rides on a film of Oil and should never touch the bearings so how would a crank support the block? :nono:

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
IJ.;1372968 said:
WTF are you on about?

In ANY engine other than one with roller bearings the Crank rides on a film of Oil and should never touch the bearings so how would a crank support the block? :nono:

Thank you IJ. :nono:

Straighten with a hammer eh, they don't teach you that in school lol. I wish the groups crank was outta round, woulda learned something new.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
dumbo;1372971 said:
Thank you IJ. :nono:

Straighten with a hammer eh, they don't teach you that in school lol. I wish the groups crank was outta round, woulda learned something new.

Pro's use a blunt air chisel ;)
(I was horrified when my crank shop gave me a tour as I expected there to be some high tech press involved)

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
IJ.;1372968 said:
WTF are you on about?

thats a pretty aggressive post in my opinion.

look man i don't clam to know more than any one here so I don't want this to get ugly, just saying. but i would like to state what i believe happens. In both weak blocks and rigid blocks. You asked “what I was on about”

we both agree that the crank rides on oil. But then why bolt the heck out of the crank caps if it just rides on a thin film? Because that thin film is transferring the cranks load to the bearings then the bearings transfer that load to the block. In a weak block like a sleeved open-deck block (honda) what actually happens is the crank keeps things together while the block flexes. There fore you must have a perfect crank to make the build last. In a rigid block, I would assume like the toyota's iron closed block. The block holds the bearings more firmly in place then on down the line to the oil film then the crank. There for I think its not as critical that the crank be perfect.

I have a article that touches base on this issue by Larry Widmer some place. This is where I got to thinking about it years ago when I built a b18. I used a dart block because dart claims that there blocks are more rigid with more webbing to stop block flexing.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
staticpage;1373484 said:
thats a pretty aggressive post in my opinion.
look man i don't clam to know more than any one here so I don't want this to get ugly, just saying. but i would like to state what i believe happens. In both weak blocks and rigid blocks. You asked “what I was on about”

we both agree that the crank rides on oil. But then why bolt the heck out of the crank caps if it just rides on a thin film? Because that thin film is transferring the cranks load to the bearings then the bearings transfer that load to the block. In a weak block like a sleeved open-deck block (honda) what actually happens is the crank keeps things together while the block flexes. There fore you must have a perfect crank to make the build last. In a rigid block, I would assume like the toyota's iron closed block. The block holds the bearings more firmly in place then on down the line to the oil film then the crank. There for I think its not as critical that the crank be perfect.

I have a article that touches base on this issue by Larry Widmer some place. This is where I got to thinking about it years ago when I built a b18. I used a dart block because dart claims that there blocks are more rigid with more webbing to stop block flexing.

So what?

Don't post garbage and I won't call you on it.

ALL cranks need to be "perfect" anything less why bother?

You "assume" too much, the 7M while being iron is a big wet noodle at anything over 8000 rpm/500 rwhp and no amount of stiffness in a crank is going to change that. (if anything it would promote catastrophic failure, guess what the Damper on the end of the crank actually does)

Trust me it won't get "ugly"

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
staticpage;1372963 said:

What IJ is doing is protecting the other readers who might read your mis-informed post, then go out and try installing a bent crank into a straight hole, then having the bearings wear funny. When I read your post, it sounds as if you think bolting down the crank into the mains will make the crank straight. Now we don't want people thinking that it will be "ok" do we?

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
So I grabbed a dial indicator, stand, and v blocks from work. The v-blocks were too wide to fit on the crank.

As I sat and stared at the crank sitting in the block, I wondered how I would be able to measure it without good v-blocks. And then it hit me - why not do it right in the block? If it measures true in it's future home, it's all that matters.

I set up the dial on the edge of the block and measured them all. They were all dead nuts, under 0.001" runout all around. I was expecting a ton of runout after the fall but checked all three times - still dead on.

Feedback?