Drivetrain Slack

ratpick63

detroit iron defector
May 4, 2006
Glendale, CA
I've got slack, and not nice dress pants. There is what feels like way too much slack in my drivetrain, feels like riding a motorcycle with a really loose chain. Jerks hard when lifting from mild accel to decel, and then back to accel.
I have a pretty good idea where it mostly is: the differential. Grabbing the driveshaft and turning it back and forth shows several degrees of rotation before it can move the axleshafts at all. But also, my trans mount looks kind of bad. But I don't think it's moving too much there or my shifter would be jumping, right?
I read through the TSRM about backlash adjustment and am just wondering if there may be an easy way of doing it without completely rebuilding my rear diff.

Oh, and some more car info: '87 NA 5 speed, had one piece aluminum drive shaft (which I know will play into this feeling some, since it had less mass to hold the inertia, but there's more there than just that)

I thought about just replacing the trans mount to see where I'm at, but they're kind of pricey. Would it be really bad to just forget the rubber and weld it into a solid mount?

I don't want to tear anything up is all. Thanks in advance...