Drivetrain Gremlins

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
It seems that when I go to take off to turn either right or left, I get this weird vibration noise from the drivetrain and then it goes away. It also does it once in a while while i take off in a straight line. Sometimes it does it too when going up a little hill in 1st gear. Do you guys think it's time to change the lsd fluid? Or anything else I should be worried about?

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
OfnaRcR4;1353251 said:
Maybe a cv joint although i doubt it? Describe vibration a little more?

no everything is tight in the suspension and drivetrain. I don't really know how to explain the vibration better. But it's almost like a chatter in the rear diff. I'm going to check the joints on the driveshaft as they might have something to do with it and also I'm changing the fluid this monday so we will see if this changes anything. Anyone else can shine some light?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Well, the description is pretty vague; but, it could be u-joint(s), the carrier bearing, broken motor mount, broken tranny mount, the back portion of your driveline could be slipping, the engine could even be missing and seem like a vibration....

It could be a number of things. :dunno:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
the drive line cant slip- unless your talking about the diff. your diff could be in need of a rebuild. any chatter howling?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Don't forget...The back half of the driveline is two pieces and can slip.

Unless of course he's running a one piece that he didn't mention. ;)

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
hvyman;1353309 said:
the drive line cant slip- unless your talking about the diff. your diff could be in need of a rebuild. any chatter howling?

No chatter or howling. My friend says it might be the old LSD fluid. He says his awd crv did the same thing while turning from a dead stop. It ended up being the LSD fluid that honda put in it sucked lol. But then again it's an AWD. If the rear diff is shot, would you recommend rebuilding it or just trying to find a used one. And how much does a rear diff rebuild would run usually?

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
CajunKenny;1353319 said:
Don't forget...The back half of the driveline is two pieces and can slip.

Unless of course he's running a one piece that he didn't mention. ;)

no, it's the stock ds. i hope it is the ds causing that vibration because it would be a lot cheaper to fix/replace then a rear diff or tranny. And it would give me a reason to buy a 1peice lol

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Very true. A one piece would be cool!

My 87 shaft spun on me. My u-joints are about an inch out of alignment. I have pics posted somewhere...

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
CajunKenny;1353331 said:
Read the second hint of step 7 here:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=PR&P=8

If the driveline has been put back together correctly and it does not align as shown in the diagram, then the back half of your driveline has slipped and needs to be replaced.

I dunno if the previous owner replaced it or try to fix something on it... Every time I fix something on this car something else goes wrong with it lol

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Don't ya hate that?!

Fortunately, its easy to check. Jack the back of the car up and make sure they're all lined up. :)

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Another thing to check is the tranny output bearing. Get under there, grab the front u-joint and try to move it around. Your problem sounds a bit like what I had before I fixed that.

Shaftmasters makes a nice aluminum one piece drive shaft for our cars that's nicely balanced. It's even a decent price.

Asterix

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
I just replaced the rear diff and tranny fluids with royal purple :aigo: (expensive lol). The vibration was still there when I took it around the block but while driving it around for a bit it magically dissapeared :icon_bigg. Now I get the vibration SOMETIMES when I go from 1st to 2nd. 3rd, 4th, 5th I get no vibrations what so ever. I'm starting to think its a tranny mount. Driveshaft checked out fine. Everything from the u joints to the output bearing are in good working condition. Also, does anyone know of a good kit for tranny and motor mounts? I'm in the process of ordering the one peice driveshaft from suprasport and I might as well do tranny and motor mounts while im at it. Thanks

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
If you want a 1 pc driveline, then go for it; but, if you're buying that to try and fix your problem....that's an expensive guess!

If you're not really wanting a 1 pc, I would start with the tranny mount and motor mounts. Both are easy to replace and won't set you back nearly what a 1 pc will.

Driftmotion sells both!

Your problem still could be one of more of the u-joints. Again, a 1 pc would fix that; but, a full set of u-joints will still leave you with some pizza money! ;)

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
CajunKenny;1357919 said:
If you want a 1 pc driveline, then go for it; but, if you're buying that to try and fix your problem....that's an expensive guess!

If you're not really wanting a 1 pc, I would start with the tranny mount and motor mounts. Both are easy to replace and won't set you back nearly what a 1 pc will.

Driftmotion sells both!

Your problem still could be one of more of the u-joints. Again, a 1 pc would fix that; but, a full set of u-joints will still leave you with some pizza money! ;)

I'm actually wanting a 1pc lol. I'm going to replace the tranny and motor mounts tomorrow and see if that helps. I don't want to get the ujoints because if they are the problem it gives me a reason to upgrade to the 1pc.