driveshafts....

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
Are all MK3 driveshafts the same? I broke my 88 turbo one, and I have an 87 N/A automatic, that still has a good driveshaft in it......can I use that one with my 88 turbo 5 speed?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
the back halves are the same, the front halves are different between turbo and N/A. (i believe the r-154 ((turbo)) driveshaft has a shorter front section because the tailstock of the tranny is longer)

which would make the w58 (n/a) tranny's tailstock shorter than the turbo's, which would mean that the front half of the driveshaft is longer. did that make sense? haha

-shaeff

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
one too many burnout attempts on big sticky tires maybe? The Automatic drive shaft is about 3 inches shorter for anyone's future reference. The rear part is the same length. I used that and the N/A driveshaft bearing on my front shaft. All is well again.....for now.

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
The r154 and a340e yoke are the same (spline wise).I have 2 auto yokes and 1 spare tailshaft.When removin gbox's i use the spare yoke to plug up the rear to stop fluid loss.Have a look in mkiii.com.I posted up lengths of the manual shaft.