driveshaft is loose in the center. Center bearing bad?

mickgarvey

Jul 5, 2009
Mukilteo, Wa
Ok so I can grab my drive shaft and it wiggles freely front the center, I was told it was a bushing but after looking in the TSRM it seems there is only a center support bearing. Now it looks like in order to replace it I will need a few SST which is a big PITA. What should I do?

Im thinking as center support bearing is pretty crucial, and is it safe to be driving in the meantime? I have to go drive to Seattle in the morning for work the rest of the week and im sure it wont be resolved in a couple days.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
No you don't need an sst....what you will need is $260 to buy a new one from Toyota:-(

now the bearing is supported by rubber which let's the driveshaft move around...your bearing may indeed be fine as new or used you can grab the ds and move it freely so to speak...the question I have is "what made you even think of checking it? Is your car shaking, vibrating, making howling noises...these can all be signs of that bearing failing! If your car isn't shaking or making noise at a giving mph then I wouldn't even stress about it at all!

There is no direct bolt on replacement bearing sold by advanced auto, pepboys etc...they all need modding to work correctly....it's pretty much a Toyota only part and it cost a fucking fortune!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
a new one there will not be much play if any. if there is play and your getting vibration then it needs to be replaced. no sst needed as mentioned, just iirc a 24mm socket and a couple 14mm wrenches.

the ones they sell at autozone,etc the mounting tabs are in the wrong spot and will not clear the exhaust and the drive shaft angle will be incorrect.

mickgarvey

Jul 5, 2009
Mukilteo, Wa
No it hasnt made and weird noises or vibrations I had a muffler welded on and the guy happened to notice it could move around. I checked it when I got home and sure enough. So what your saying it the rubber bushing is damaged? I might have to take a closer look.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
if your not getting any driveablity problems then your fine to drive anywhere. but once you start getting vibrations either from a start or at 65mph then you'll need to replace it. im sure the guy at the shop was just trying to sell something to you even tho you didnt notice any problems.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
+1 to that.

You WILL notice a noise or vibration when the shaft has play or is out of balance at all. I agree with hvyman...if you're not noticing driveability problems, don't sweat it too much.

mickgarvey

Jul 5, 2009
Mukilteo, Wa
ok and one final question, you think making it out of urethane myself would work? Its been said you can repair or make engine mounts with it so why not this eh?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
i doubt it but you can try. any easier solution would be to buy the auto zone one and cut the tabs and weld them in the right spot.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
i seem to find that the rubber around the bearing seems to go before the bearing. if you could fill it with caulk or something, that would actually work, hehe
mine went, and it was so bad, it started shaking violently on my way to my friends place to repair it.
i retrofitted an autozone one to work, save me like an hundred bucks, worked great, got the driveshaft angle right, all good:)
the thread is on here somewhere.

wanganstyle

Sep 3, 2008
sf bay
the driveshaft centre bearing for mk3 is $130 wholesale at toyota. its a simple procedure to remove and replace the bearing. the rubber bits rot, and you have to change the whole unit then, its like a flexdisc or anything on a bmw. Just replace it.

order the center bearing and 2 washers @ $1.80 each

1. remove driveshaft
2. unbolt driveshaft halves- mark halves so you re-assemble EXACTALLY as you removed- they are balanced.
3. unbolt centre bearing- use impact gun
remove all parts, re-assmble with new
tighten and stake down bearing locking nut (just like axel nut)

re-install driveshaft.

the part is actually the same for SC300/400 as well, guess what lexus charges for the part retail.........