Drives fine but dies at idle

foordoorracer

Feb 23, 2009
CLT
I have an 89 NA with a 1jzgte/r154 swap. This has been my daily driver for the past year and I havent had any issues out of it, until now. This issue just started in the past few days.

-Once engine is at operating temp. it stalls instead of trying to idle
-I can still drive the can normally but when I have to stop I have to keep the RPMs up over 800ish by using the gas pedal
-When clutch is pushed in to make a slow turn it will also stall

I have not tried any diagnostics yet becasue I figured I would check on here to see if anyone has experienced this before. I'm still using this as my daily driver so I didn't want to tear it apart before I get a better idea of what it could be. I searched older forums but didn't find answers to the issue that were similar to this.

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
IACV? idle air control valve... could have gone out? mine is deleted and can be hard to start and stay on during cold mornings fixed it by slightly adjusting the throttle boddy. try to adjust and open the throttle body open a bit. simple easy test.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Let the car warm up and use the throttle idle screw on the throttle body to set the idle.

You can get a block off plate to block off the ISCV.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
It is common for them to stick, yes, but they do serve an important purpose. It's a simple fix to leave it on there and adjust the throttle screw. ;)