driver side upper control arm bolt bent

kdog1988

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
I went to change my front shocks yesterday and noticed the upper control arm bolt is bent and won't come out. Has anyone ever run into this problem and if so how did you remove the bolt.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Never heard of it happening, but is it possible for you to get a grinder up there with a cutting wheel?
Can't imagine it bending without causing a deformity to the upper arm's geometry as well.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
OfnaRcR4;1919721 said:
Are you absolutely positive its bent? I know it can be a bear to get out sometimes. I'd say just cut it off and replace it.

Yeah, I usually have to tap it out with a hammer.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
hvyman;1919727 said:
Ya the washer has to stay next to the control arm and then it comes right out.

Ah yes- absolutely right.
I forgot about that detail, and it makes all the difference in the world, because once that washer hits the inner wheel well, it puts a side load on the bolt and wedges it.

kdog1988

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Yeah I'm sure it's bent when you turn it you can see the control arm moving up and down. But I'll prob pick up a good cut off wheel and cut the ends off then hammer the rest out but thanks for all the input. I'll let you guys know the out come. Also do you know where I can get a replacement bolt for it?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Or honestly, a junk yard or post a wanted thread here.
People will have one for you, vs. $20 for the new dealership cost.

kdog1988

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
I told you guys i wold update you when i got it figured out. it turns out the bolt was indeed bent. I ended up having to cut the head of the bolt and try hammering out backwards and after about 1 hour of doing that and not getting much progress i gave up and left it till today. I had to cut the control arm and slide it off the bolt it turns out even though i was hammering and hammering because the bolt was bent it was wedging its self in the control arm bushings not allowing me to knock it all the way out. I also had to take the bolt out in two pieces because it was to long to come out in one. I hope no one else ever runs into this problem but if you do there is light at the end of the tunnel just have to know the proper steps to take and def have the proper tools to do the job. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
hvyman;1919727 said:
Ya the washer has to stay next to the control arm and then it comes right out.

True after the first time you fight it then realize this, you consider your self an idiot.

kdog1988;1920467 said:
I told you guys i wold update you when i got it figured out. it turns out the bolt was indeed bent. I ended up having to cut the head of the bolt and try hammering out backwards and after about 1 hour of doing that and not getting much progress i gave up and left it till today. I had to cut the control arm and slide it off the bolt it turns out even though i was hammering and hammering because the bolt was bent it was wedging its self in the control arm bushings not allowing me to knock it all the way out. I also had to take the bolt out in two pieces because it was to long to come out in one. I hope no one else ever runs into this problem but if you do there is light at the end of the tunnel just have to know the proper steps to take and def have the proper tools to do the job. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

I would have thought that you might have been able to save the control arm. By cutting off the head or the threaded end next to the upper control arm bushing. Then hammering the bolt the other way through the upper bushing and cutting off the other end. You should have been able to twist the arm enough to get 1 side off then cut the other side close and hammer the bolt back in and release the other side. It would then allow you to pull the bolt out by the rest of the bolt.

kdog1988

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
I tried all of that just to try to save the control arm and bushings but like I said the way the bolt was bent the only way it would come out was going the opposite way and and it would wedge itself in the control arm bushing to the point where it would not move even with hammering it so that's why I cut the control arm.

kdog1988

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
No it wasn't frozen in the bushing. I took a picture if the bolt after I removed it I'll post it when I get off work today so you can see what I'm talking about