Driver Side Foot Well Wiring

FoolishOne

May 14, 2006
Bel Air, MD
On the driver side, by the fuse panel are all the wires from the driver side door. (All 28-30 wires come in through those blue connectors.) Coming from the cabin, I presume, are some solid colored wires mooching of off (tapped into) the wiring harness from the door.(These wires are in a conduit of sorts.) Upon replacing the door's wiring harness I took off all of the 'taps' and labeled them as to which wire from the door they went to (i.e. Solid Orange -> Blue/Red, Solid Red -> White/Black, etc.)

Well, the labels ended up falling off of like 8 of them so hence the question.

Does anybody know or have as a reference a map as to which of the wires in the conduit get tapped into which color(s) from the door?

Anybody even have a clue as to what I am talking about?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I'm not really sure what wires would be tapped into another. Are you sure that it is not wiring for some sort of upgrade, or a shade tree fix for something? I have a door harness in my shed that I can look at/take pictures of. I'll take a look if work lets me go home tonight.

FoolishOne

May 14, 2006
Bel Air, MD
I have an image.

See the wires coming out of the conduit up top? Each one of those taps into a wire on the other connector (Yes, that is the correct way to spell it...) from the door. (There are two connectors from the door, one of them is pictured below and the conduit wires are still tapped in. The other...I have in my hand.)

Although you raise a good point, the car is bone stock so I think that an AM part is a less significant option. But, I will do my best to see if I can find where they come from.

Image Here

»fo

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Permit me to rephrase that. I've never seen them use IDC and I know there aren't any on my car. Nor have I seen them in a few other Supras I've stripped down. What you have there looks to be a typical hack job done for something aftermarket but there's still a slim chance I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. Could be something done in later model years (I see you've a 91) but I'd be surprised if that was the case.

FoolishOne

May 14, 2006
Bel Air, MD
Its pitch black here in East Texas, otherwise I'd go out there right now.

I have (I believe) all the service records and everything for the car, dating back to like 94, and nothing got my attention, although that old lady might be trying to hide something...

I don't think that I have lost any apparent unacceptable functionally due to these wires be taken off. (Obviously, aside from the power locks, windows, mirrors, etc.)

Although come to think about it...my seat doesn't work and I don't think disconnecting the connectors from the door would inhibit that? IDK...

»fo

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Sorry, I shot from the hip on that one so a little back pedaling was in order ;),

Standby on the seat deal. Let me look at that real quick...

edit: Nope, shouldn't matter unless you've got connector G1 disconnected or the bolt that holds the bottom of driver's side junction block out. If that were the case a bunch of other stuff wouldn't work though.

FoolishOne

May 14, 2006
Bel Air, MD
I have another picture. This is the other end of the conduit. (It only goes for about 8".)

1) There are 2, small like 20-22 gauge wires coming what feels like the firewall, into the top connector you see. (They look like red and yellow; coming out from the electrical tape up top.)

2) That green wire extends throughout the conduit. You see it enter the top connector and poke out the bottom. Many probably do that.

3) These connectors go into a black box. Literally. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING on this black box (about 4" x 6" x 2"). There are just two male connectors coming out of this box. It was double sticked taped to the almost horizontal interior piece right under the steering column. (On the back side, so you couldn't see it unless you took it off.)

Second Image

»fo

FoolishOne

May 14, 2006
Bel Air, MD
Okay, I just took out the one box, and another smaller box behind it. I have no idea what these boxes are, but I turned the car on, and the stock boost gauge pegs at the top...immediately.

All of these different wires, are all connected in some fashion (via IDC) to the white/black wire coming out from the white connector nearest the firewall.

Nobody on the board has even a clue what I am talking about? What the hell do I have on my hands....

»fo

Last edited:

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Huh, I saw the title and just thought... another idiot. Didn't even bother to look who it was.

Oh, but Kimi beat Hamilton...

What you've probably got is something similar to my mystery blue wire that runs across the front of my car. Bummer its so cold out now or I would be happy to help if you brought it up here with you.

FoolishOne

May 14, 2006
Bel Air, MD
I am going to take a picture of the whole setup and all the wires eventually. Funny thing is is that the boxes have absolutely no identification on them whatsoever.

I am going to buy a Garmin C550 right now :icon_bigg so possibly when I get back.

»fo

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Who knows, maybe the old lady had a super cheap remote locking system that she never told us about. Could have been something as simple as the battery in the remote was dead.

Before I buy a GPS I'm going to see how the VZ Navigator program on my phone works... but GL.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
It sounds like you are describing an alarm system of some sort. The wiring and connectors you snapped seem to support this as well. When you were removing the black boxes, were there any wires coming from the factory harness to them? It may have even been a wire that was lengthened from the factory harness. I am willing to be you have a separted wire under the column somewhere that you are overlooking.