Driveline Vibration In All Gears...

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
If I can get one at a decent price, I don't mind as I can drop this one and reinstall the other one to keep the car moving.

Want to know the kicker everyone?

I just went through my receipts right....I bought all new Synchros and bearings.....I FORGOT the needle bearings! Jeeez, I thought I put those in new as well. After talking to CajunKenny, his measured fine and were in spec but were still worn.

As Ian says, DOH!

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I was reading around the web and found a guy with the same problem as me, car drives fine cold and when hot, the gears make noise. He also had a rebuilt gearbox as well. He said he had to use a 2MM spacer on his transmission mount because it was worn.

This got me thinking, I remember when setting up the transmission, we had to push it over to the drivers side to get the bolts lined up. So maybe the driveshaft is slightly out of line.

When I rebuilt the gearbox, I did not use back the original transmission mounting bracket, I used another one. So yesterday, I did two things, took off the transmission mount which was installed backwards and changed back to the original mounting bracket. All the bolt holes lined up perfectly, HMMMM.

I took it on a 40 mile drive at about a 50MPH average and got the gearbox nice and hot. No noise at all and it's nice and quiet. I can now drive the car without that noise and gear up and down two honestly, two fingers and little to no force.

It was what Ian said, the drivetrain is out of line but I didn't even remember about the mount and bracket part, I was just checking the driveshaft and carrier bearing.