drive shaft stock limits?

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
So I tried to search for the single word that would bring up the most info (driveshaft) and didnt find anything answering my question. My plans for this supra are somewhere around 500rwhp (or 500rwtq for this comparison). What is the stock driveshaft good for before having to worry about upgrading it?

If I do need to upgrade it I'll prob have a two peice made for me or wait on shaftmasters to develop his.

So to sum it up at what point do you need to worry about your driveshaft?
thanks in advance.

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
maybe more, I don't think I've heard of anyone twisting it..... almost every other part in the rear end tho

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
IJ.;1338408 said:
The rear bonded rubber section will fail first on an old shaft.

which would be why i said in good condition ;) I will inspect mine and if i have any question of if it will hold up I'll just replace it with a new one

again thanks for everones help

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
whenmunkysfly;1338419 said:
which would be why i said in good condition ;) I will inspect mine and if i have any question of if it will hold up I'll just replace it with a new one

again thanks for everones help

Just have the rear bonded section replaced with a tube and you're good to go.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
that is as long as the carrier is still good otherwise just replace the whole damn thing. my carrier is a POS and I don't want to replace.. it's so flipping expensive form toyota.

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Zazzn;1338513 said:
that is as long as the carrier is still good otherwise just replace the whole damn thing. my carrier is a POS and I don't want to replace.. it's so flipping expensive form toyota.

1pc. FTW.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
IJ.;1338470 said:
Just have the rear bonded section replaced with a tube and you're good to go.

ok thanks IJ

got_boosted;1338518 said:
1pc. FTW.

no thank you...if you search for the thread you will see why this is not as good as a two peice (and could be a very bad idea if you ever plan on going faster then 100mph)

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
whenmunkysfly;1338660 said:
no thank you...if you search for the thread you will see why this is not as good as a two peice (and could be a very bad idea if you ever plan on going faster then 100mph)

I've been faster than 100mph MANY times. I have no vibrations period. I don't know why everybody is so cought up in this idea. A quality 1pc shaft will not have balancing issues. The 1pc shaft, from a weight saving standpoint, is the best mod I've made. The car doesn't feel like a fat pig coming off the line anymore.

I've read the threads, and I respectfully disagree based upon my own experience. I also don't get why so many people have fallen for this with the countless examples of 1pc driveshaft in use on STOCK vehicles that don't have vibration issues. If your driveshaft isn't right, don't blame the shaft. Blame the manufacturer.

I know that was off topic, but I have a problem with misinformation. Also, many of the vibrations that 1pc users complain about can be caused by incorrectly phased u-joints. If you don't know what that means, do some research.

Collin

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Collin: It's more sustained high speed/high shaft speed that comes about when you run 4 series diff gears with an engine that will rev 7500+ that stresses a one piece shaft.

There are a few cars on the market here with long wheelbases that are factory limited to 180Kmh/110mph as their 2 piece shafts were failing.

cliffs: If you run the shaft at/near it's critical speed it WILL fail.

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
i just bought a jaws steel 17lb 1pc, hopefully it'll last. But i've seen a few busted stock shafts that were victims of 400+ft/lbs through dr's and a two step. Thats' why i ditched the stock shaft, plus my friends car had his carrier bearing go out at 65 mph and he said he shit his pants lol. So me having a 150k mile chassis i figured my time was near.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
I was looking at that drive shaft calculator excel spreadsheet and it looks like MMC material is better than Aluminum 6061? Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes their driveshafts out of MMC? The other option would be to get a thicker one made out of 6061.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
My solution for my car and it's specific needs.

ds00.jpg

ds04.jpg

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
got_boosted;1338702 said:
I've been faster than 100mph MANY times. I have no vibrations period. I don't know why everybody is so caught up in this idea. A quality 1pc shaft will not have balancing issues.

1-piece here too, no problems at all 400+ for ?2-3 years now with th350, cost a bunch at the custom drive and axle joint in town