Driftwater 7 action pictures

My Supra was a bit lonely surrounded by 240s and miatas but here are a couple random pictures from the Driftwater event this past weekend. Two of my good friends brought their S13s out, one with an SR and one KA-T we spent half the day fixing :biglaugh:

Photo credits are on the watermarks (or taken by me/a friend who doesn't care about photo credits) Hopefully more action photos will surface, especially of Chris in the KA-T. He's way legit at sliding :)

4775162208_95999f5f96_b.jpg

4775133746_4e99df31c1_b.jpg

4775133362_0f45ef5997_b.jpg

4775132884_4213ab4723_b.jpg

4770359195_a866c1454d_o.jpg

4772224917_d04b5bc32e_o.jpg

4775144670_20316eebef_b.jpg

4774507415_dc5da481c3_b.jpg

4774070784_dd447e9cc8_o.jpg

4773432393_9d54b7e37e_o.jpg

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Nice cars, great shots. Looks like fun.
Is that an engine oil cooler on your bumper? I have seen that on other cars, but didnt think it would look good on a sup, but you pulled it off well. kudos.

Yep, that's my 70s throwback on my 80s car haha. I'm pretty sure I'll eventually move it to a more conventional behind the bumper location but it works fine where it is seeing as it survived crazy rock chips from multiple spinouts into gravel :)

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
Makes me wanna vids, but great pics!

I gots outter mods too :evil2:
p1590605_1.jpg

Mods:
-Fresh air intake
-Heat from turbine exhaust makes wheel softer for more grip
-hood lightened/speed hole/engine cooling/maintenance access

Me an my hot wheel will lap dough nuts rounds your crew hehe

rtrdpenguin;1590572 said:
Yep, that's my 70s throwback on my 80s car haha. I'm pretty sure I'll eventually move it to a more conventional behind the bumper location but it works fine where it is seeing as it survived crazy rock chips from multiple spinouts into gravel :)

Was totally considering this too on my pre-89, definitely liking it here on yours. :D

Don't really hear about people drifting Supras often, any thoughts after all said and done?

Stock steering angle is terrible haha. I'm definitely installing spacers on the inner tie rods for next time, but even with those a stock S13/14 still has more angle! The weight is something a lot of people rag on, but I actually love it. The car is a bit more predictable and you can really toss it into corners and get it real sideways. Transitions can be super harsh and I'm sure if I had some serious steering angle mods this thing would be crazy good on 3rd gear corners! The main issue is just the steering angle really. I'm most likely at or near full lock in my sig picture :( Power is no problem, I fried tires in a couple laps without even trying on basic bolt-ons and a stock CT-26 @ 10 psi.

Hm, didn't' even think of steering angle, then again I haven't really been able to drive my mk3 all that much just yet to think about it too much. I'm sure power isn't a problem, but I can imagine weight can get a little tricky with some quick transfers. Not the choice vehicle for sure, but glad to see someone out there giving it a go :)

Steering angle is one of the most important parts of a drift car IMO. That and nice stiff suspension to help eliminate the factory understeer bias, which I also do not possess yet haha. Completely stock these cars are quite difficult to keep from spinning, definitely take it easy the first time you go out or you might end up getting a little banged up :) However, I would rather have to spend some money and time doing steering angle mods than having to swap an engine out since it only makes 115 horsepower like 240s have in the US haha! That said, I'm quite sure it's not an ideal drift platform. Something else I forgot to mention is that our e-brakes use really thin pads that cost quite a lot to replace... my e-brake is 100% worthless and can't even slow my rear tires down while moving, let alone lock them up. So if you wanted to get serious a hydraulic "rally brake" might be in order.

I know when I had my 86 that a lot of people wanted manual racks but finding one without power steering wasn't too common, so a lot of people swapped them out of 85-89 MR2s. With a few little changes to it you could gain a lot more angle as well as having a manual rack. Not sure if there's been any research/findings done on that as far as our cars go, but some food for thought.

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
Nice looking cars, good to see someone sels skiding a mk3 :D I think mine skids pretty well and its just a :greddy: N/A with a LSD, Eibach springs, KYB struts, and an exhaust and intake. Cant imagine how a turbo one must skid. I also like having all that weigth to throw around to get the cat to skid, because my ebrake doesnt work either, lol.

I'm mad jealous of all the relatively easy steering angle mods AE86s have available haha :) They're drifted a whole lot more than A70s... But I think I might be able to pop in a Lexus LS series rack like they do in MKIVs and SCs for a little more angle. If I ever get serious custom knuckles is probably in the cards though, rack swaps and tie rod spacers can only get you so far!