Driftmotion intercooler kit?

Dopamine

Aug 22, 2009
Cali
Yea please let us know exactly what you did to make this kit fit. I also bought this kit and thought it was a direct bolt on...

Edit: I just got a call from my mechanic and he said it was a b^&*^% putting this thing on haha. I'm just happy he finally got it on though!

Last edited:

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
Well what I ended up doing was cutting the two 90 degree tabs on the far side of the top bracket to clear the power steering lines and the mounting point for the upper nose piece. Then just temporarily I used zip ties to hold the top up. I have to make a 90 degree bracket to bolt it to the radiator support and then to the middle tab. For the bottom I had to use a drill bit to make the slots bigger to fit the supplied bolts. Then I bolted the bottom brackets to the old oil cooler lines. You have to relocate the oil cooler with this kit. For that I took off the hardlines and I need to buy some rubber line. Then I cut two pieces of flat steel and drilled holes and mounted on the passenger side between the intercooler and radiator. I'll take some pics of everything tomorrow.

87supradude

living a country song
Jan 19, 2007
Salem, OR
haha, sounds like the cut and make your own kit is easier lol. only took a couple of hours to cut and fit it all for the spearco replica

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
So i canceled my order on the dm ic kit. called prior to ordering said it was available now its two weeks out, i had to keep calling them to find out what was up with my order? anyways i am placing an order for the cx racing kit which i believe is the same thing just a little more, gonna have to eat the price difference need the car but ill post what is required when installing that.

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
If I recall its basically the same kit except the end tank on the driftmotion kit has a mandrel bent 90 deg bend and the cxracing is a couple pieces welded together to make a 90. So you're paying a little more for something that doesn't look as professional, atleast thats what it looks like on ebay where I saw those.

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Sorry guys I just started a new job and haven't had much time to do anything. As for the zip ties yes I would probably get some metal ties or get the industrial size ones from harbor freight they work awesome. My buddies front mount on his WRX is held up by the big industrial size ones. I might be going up north this weekend so not sure if I'll be able to get any pics up. But I don't know if I feel like taking the time to do a write up on it. It's really pretty simple the only gay part is mounting the intercooler. The pipes should be easy.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
LOL bringing this back from the dead, but I purchased the cx racing one and am having the same problems, doesnt seem to be a "bolt on affair" at all. Im getting tired of that term being used so loosely, half the stuff I buy that says bolt on, isnt. WELL technically it is, but not without moving a few other things first LOL> But I would like pics of the mounting points for the intercooler please :)

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
I just "bolted" my dm kit in and the pipes are direct fit lol. I dont have pics but will get some up soon also. I still need to reattach my oil cooler. Anyways i used the two straps that come with the kit on the bottom of the ic and attached to mounting locations of cooler. Probably the only thing that did line up on ic. Had to cut and notch hood latch support looks shitty but works. not sure what the tabs on the side of the ic bolt or what the long supplied bracket is for? does look good when installed though

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Yeah thats what it looks like Ill have to do as well, I was just out their messing with it and that long bracket looks to be useless... I know exactly what you are talking about with the bottom of the intercooler brackets, those are the only two that look like they will line up. It looks like I'll have to cut and notch my hood latch support as well to get it to get in their far enough. Does yours hang below the bumper after doing this? Right now I cant mine to get up in their far enough. Did your coolant resevoir need to be moved? Do you have any brackets on the top of the intercooler?

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
SO yeah, I just figured out why I cant get my intercooler in there far enough, I believe its because I have the power steering cooler and hard lines routed exactly where this things needs to slide up into/bolt. :sigh