driftmotion intercooler kit install 7mgte with lots of pics

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Smartparts;1731921 said:
Is there any reason to get this over an ebay intercooler? Seems like the fabrication required to make it fit doesnt justify the added cost

It is an eBay intercooler kit. I have a similar kit, but it has the inlet/outlet on the same side of the intercooler. Every CX racing upper 3000 pipe I have seen doesn't fit quite right. The bend is a little off and the pipe isn't the perfect length, but with some fussing around with it, it does fit fairly well. You definitely get what you pay for but for the price it really is a nice kit. Comes with almost everything you need to get it in and have full 2.5" hardpipes. Wouldn't use the supplied BOV personally but I don't have any experience with it.

You will be hard pressed to find anything 100% bolt on without spending a LOT of money.

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Sydney, Australia, Australia
"bolt on" my fat black ass.

Youd think SOMEONE would be able to produce bolt on shit by now , all we get is half promises. I swear the next time I buy ANYTHING that says bolt on , and I have to modify ANYTHING, Im going to fucking snap.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
aloshan;1812749 said:
"bolt on" my fat black ass.

Youd think SOMEONE would be able to produce bolt on shit by now , all we get is half promises. I swear the next time I buy ANYTHING that says bolt on , and I have to modify ANYTHING, Im going to fucking snap.

there is nothing wrong with bolt on and you brought back a old thread just to say that?

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
LOL...seeing someone already revived this thread from a year ago, I'll add my 2 cents. I recently stuffed a 31x12x4 CX Racing IC under the front of my MKIII. Pain? Sure. Worth it? Every penny, drop of blood, and sweat drenched towel. I bought a universal pipe kit from CXR, also -- totally custom fit it all in. Ditched the HKS knock off that came with my intake pipe and put a real one on. We'll be doing the same to my son's as soon as he can afford to buy the parts. Here's some pics of the finished product.

p1831194_1.jpg

p1831194_2.jpg

Compared to the one I took out...LOL

p1831194_3.jpg

ncv6coupe

Jul 24, 2011
ATL, GA
Hotwheelsjr;1831194 said:
LOL...seeing someone already revived this thread from a year ago, I'll add my 2 cents. I recently stuffed a 31x12x4 CX Racing IC under the front of my MKIII. Pain? Sure. Worth it? Every penny, drop of blood, and sweat drenched towel. I bought a universal pipe kit from CXR, also -- totally custom fit it all in. Here's some pics of the finished product.

Exactly why I don't quite feel bad about my little revival :). Hotwheels that front mount looks MEAN. nice job fitting that monster intercooler down there.

What did you do with the oil cooler? Do you have any pics of the install from a top view? The pipe after the bov going to the 3000 pipe is that one of the stockers? Kind of hard to see.

I'd like to see the routing from the driver side. Sorry for all the questions but I'm at this point on my restoration now after a year and I'm trying to put parts together for big power capability in the future but get her back running for summer. Most everyone with big front mounts have ffim's. I'm excited to see that you got that beast in there and tucked up nicely. I was soo close to buying that same side one that driftmotion just released.

Also what size turbo? I'm going pt6266 billet with megasquirt v3 to tune in speed density mode. Soo much more to get, paying cash for everything makes progress a little slower than I originally planned but more time to research and pick and choose the best options thanks to you forum guys posting your projects.

Thanks for the feedback

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
ncv6coupe;1831262 said:
Exactly why I don't quite feel bad about my little revival :). Hotwheels that front mount looks MEAN. nice job fitting that monster intercooler down there.

What did you do with the oil cooler? Do you have any pics of the install from a top view? The pipe after the bov going to the 3000 pipe is that one of the stockers? Kind of hard to see.

I'd like to see the routing from the driver side. Sorry for all the questions but I'm at this point on my restoration now after a year and I'm trying to put parts together for big power capability in the future but get her back running for summer. Most everyone with big front mounts have ffim's. I'm excited to see that you got that beast in there and tucked up nicely. I was soo close to buying that same side one that driftmotion just released.

Also what size turbo? I'm going pt6266 billet with megasquirt v3 to tune in speed density mode. Soo much more to get, paying cash for everything makes progress a little slower than I originally planned but more time to research and pick and choose the best options thanks to you forum guys posting your projects.

Thanks for the feedback

I'll take some pics today. I bought a small stainless coolant overflow and located it forward of my air cleaner on the pass side. I hung the oil cooler between the IC and A/C condenser. The piping is all "custom" cut and spliced with heavy duty silicone hoses. The pipe between the BOV and throttle body is also "custom" -- all 2.5" polished aluminum. I'll get some better pics of top, bottom, and details later today. Thanks for the compliments!

The one we have for my son's car is an inch narrower, but same size otherwise -- 31x12x3. I discovered the 4" core took some more tweaking and relocating than the 3" one will.

My turbo is supposedly a T67...it was on the motor when I bought the wrecked car it came out of. There are no markings on it...a previous owner "attempted" to polish it and ground off any distinguishing marks. It has a T3 flange, so it is mounted atop a T3/T4 adapter on a T4 stainless header. Because it sits higher than stock, i had to come up with a plan to route the IC pipe "around" it instead of over the top of it like most. Here's a better pic of the turbo:

p1831395_1.jpg

p1831395_2.jpg

This pic illustrates just how high the turbo sits:

p1831395_3.jpg

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
Here's the pics I promised earlier:

Tight fit. Had to relocate the oil cooler and over flow bottle. Had to notch the hood latch support --

p1831585_1.jpg

p1831585_2.jpg

"3000" pipe to a 90* elbow to a 270* pipe --

p1831585_3.jpg

Basically straight pipe until it goes through the radiator support down to the pass side IC outlet. You can also see the 150* coming off the turbo outlet heading down and towards the driver side IC inlet --

p1831585_4.jpg

Coolant overflow and "S" pipe heading for the IC outlet --

p1831585_5.jpg

"S" pipe into a 90* into the IC -- pass side --

p1831585_6.jpg

Driver side "U" into the IC --

p1831585_7.jpg

p1831585_8.jpg

From the "U" into a 90* elbow into a 90* pipe and cross over to the pass side --

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1831585_9.jpg

p1831585_10.jpg

Not the prettiest, but it all stays together and works. :D

ncv6coupe

Jul 24, 2011
ATL, GA
THANK YOU SIR!!! Those last two shots are the money shots. I think I'm going to go for it and try to get that big 4 inch core set up like yours. I wont be running a MAF so I will have a little more flexibility on the cold side routing, not much but a little. Just to be sure on the intercooler inlet/outlet you basically put a 2.5"silicone coupler over the 2.5" piping and then clamped the 3" silicone coupler over that to seal it up and The piping kit that you got was the 8 pc with the free U joint+ 2 90 deg silicone couplers, correct? Thanks for spoon feeding me:1zhelp::naughty:

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
ncv6coupe;1831633 said:
THANK YOU SIR!!! Those last two shots are the money shots. I think I'm going to go for it and try to get that big 4 inch core set up like yours. I wont be running a MAF so I will have a little more flexibility on the cold side routing, not much but a little. Just to be sure on the intercooler inlet/outlet you basically put a 2.5"silicone coupler over the 2.5" piping and then clamped the 3" silicone coupler over that to seal it up and The piping kit that you got was the 8 pc with the free U joint+ 2 90 deg silicone couplers, correct? Thanks for spoon feeding me:1zhelp::naughty:

The 3" couplers are made by Spectre and sold at Autozone and O'Reileys...they come with a 2.5" rubber ring to adapt to 2.5" pipe. I wouldn't recommend them, but they work for now until I can get my hands on a pair of quality red 3" to 2.5" step down hoses. The Spectre ones are very cheap and flimsy.

I plan to do away with my MAF very soon too. I have a couple of sensors I have to wire up (MAP and IAT) and then I am going AEM EMS...already have it, just not in the car yet.

The kit I bought was the same as this, but with 2.5" pipe rather than 3" -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-3-...es&vxp=mtr&hash=item20b539a609#ht_3292wt_1163

EDIT: I just ordered a pair of 3" - 2.5" reducers -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/14050261430...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3122wt_1163

Last edited:

uncmk3nut

Apr 12, 2012
wilmington, nc
I have a question: I'm trying to install the Driftmotion intercooler kit on my 7mgte; and no matter how tight the couples or how perfect the piping is the intercooling piping leaks oil. I have sent my turbo off and got the seals replaced inside and out, it still leaks, plus before I did that I took my upgraded ct26 that was brand new also and it did the same thing.. What am I doing wrong b/c the car will drive but it won't hit more than 1 1/2 boost?