driftmotion intercooler kit install 7mgte with lots of pics

speedfreak

SCruzer
May 16, 2006
santa cruz, ca.
i just finished installing the driftmotion intercooler kit for 7mgte and thought i would post some pics of how i did mine. first of all you should know this is not a bolt on kit and requires moving a few things, oil cooler, radiator overflow reservoir,and horns. Also i had to buy a cone type air filter and adapter, make a few mounts, and i had already removed my A.C. which i'm not sure you could keep with this kit.

first i removed the intercooler, oil cooler, overflow res,and the hood latch stiffening bracket which holds the horns, and all the little mounts in there to get some space to work with.
p1615079_1.jpg

then i made little metal mounts to hang the intercooler these are only 1/16 inch steel and worked well so here is some pics to copy them if you want
p1615079_2.jpg

p1615079_3.jpg

p1615079_4.jpg

p1615079_5.jpg

then i hung the intercooler after bending the hood latch mount out to later bolt to the intercoolers top center mount using a rubber spacer, this is what i liked about how i did this it because the hood latch is still strong.
p1615079_6.jpg

oh ya and cut this power steering mount off
p1615079_7.jpg

then i took out the old intercooler piping, the only hard pipe is this one that runs through the fender i pulled it out through the wheel well after removing the wheel and i had to break it's plastic tab to get it out.
p1615079_8.jpg

then i laid the new pipe over it so you can see what pipe to use
p1615079_9.jpg

this one went in easier then the old one came out! i continued to loosely bolt up the new piping
p1615079_10.jpg

p1615079_11.jpg

p1615079_12.jpg

this is it coming from the turbo
p1615079_13.jpg

there is one whole pipe i did not use, and i cut up the bracket that comes with the kit to make lower mounts using existing bolt holes under the frame(have not drilled holes yet in pic).
p1615079_14.jpg

p1615079_15.jpg

blurry but u get the point. then i moved the oil cooler here using another simple bent mount and ran new tubing back to the filter carrier
p1615079_16.jpg

p1615079_17.jpg

then i bent the existing mount on the overflow res and put it here after lengthening the plug wires so i know if its low
p1615079_18.jpg

p1615079_19.jpg

then i made another mount from the kit for the horns and snuck them up next to the intercooler on the drivers side and made another mount to hold the power steering cooler stiff
p1615079_20.jpg

this one is hard see where it is but if you stare at it long enough you can see the mounts i made and get an idea
p1615079_21.jpg

this one is of the power steering cooler mount its made from old supra parts good luck on yours
p1615079_22.jpg

here it is done in my 92 not a good pic though.
p1615079_23.jpg

p1615079_24.jpg

getting in the bov was really hard you will have to remove the pipe to get it in and really jam the snap ring in there. also this blocked the airflow kinda badly to the radiator and since i don't have a fan shroud i used a 180F thermostat instead of the 195F i had. This is not recommended because below 192F is under warm up enrichment but i'm running a digital thermostat and can see my water temps are still right at 195F. also i had to make a plug for where the old bov went back into the intake, carefull with this don't make something that could get sucked in. it took me three days to put this all in. I had to buy a cone intake filter and adapter which i found at a local parts store for cheap!.overall i was a little skeptical at first with this kit especially after reading the other thread on it, but now i'm happy with it for a couple reasons, the bolt on part is the piping which is nice because the bends do fit the stock setup, which makes installing it alot easier than others im sure, also it does not hang to low the way i put it in and never scrapes. the upper half did not fit very well as you can see in the pic above but it does not leak. the power gains are kinda modest but feel nice and are really keeping the egt's lower than before because the turbo dosn't have to work as hard for the same boost, which is the whole point of installing this. anyways i thought i'd try and give a little back to supramania who makes it all possible. feel free to post questions and comments if you want, peace!.

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
looks good, im sure your right on the a/c part unless you customize the location of the intercooler.

also where did you end up finding that adapter, and how much?

rwdanthony

Jan 8, 2011
San Diego
doesnt the coolant reservoir have to sit equal/near the same height as the cap of the radiator? or it can be located to any height?

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
your my hero! i have this kit and have yet to install it. Had no idea how to do it either.

Btw as noobish as this will sound. Do you actually bolt the pipes down??? i wont have coil packs or anything on my valve covers anymore so the bracket on the throttle body piece can't bolt there. DO the hose clamps really just hold it all up??

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes you need the clamps on all the couplers and no you dont need to bolt it down the couplers with clamps is enough.

asicshu

Mar 19, 2011
SoCal
can you post up a quick video of how the BOV sound? i'm just curious :)

...thinking of getting myself one :p

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
That upper fitment is definitely dissapointing, it looks like it has to have some length cut off from the inside fender area to pull it downwards.

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
Is there any reason to get this over an ebay intercooler? Seems like the fabrication required to make it fit doesnt justify the added cost

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you have access to a welder or know someone that welds its far cheaper to just buy universal kit.

I paid 240 shipped for my fatty ic and universal piping kit.