Driftmotion customer project: 2jz mk3

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
It's alive!

Not bad considering there's no air temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, or o2 sensor. Only codes showing up are for those 3 items, which is excellent!
We just started it a few times for maybe 10 seconds to make sure it runs.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
That is an awesome motor. I love the blue and am now saving up for a 2jz swap of my own. I would like to have a 6sp too while I'm at it. If I'm going to save up, I may as well go all out. Looks like you do great work Aaron, and Soapra. I wouldn't expect anything less though. Keep up the great work.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
It's really turning out nice! There are still plenty of things to do but the good news is the engine harness is finished except for some split loom needed in a few places, and there are no engine codes!
We got the oil pressure gauge working also! Intercooler is next on the list.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
what trans are you using?

edit: and i can't even get my oil press gauge to work (and i swapped in the same motor from the same year car) but i was a dumbass and wrapped teflon tape around the threads for the sender... yeh, the inside of my oil press. gauge melted :-/

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
that does look very nice in there

ECU? custom exaust? if spending the money (the customer) why not go single? How hard is it to get that in there? (including wiring, tranny, driveshaft, etc...) Looks beautiful, can't wait to see how it is when she's done. Gonna post up vids when done?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
billspreston01 said:
that does look very nice in there

ECU? custom exaust? if spending the money (the customer) why not go single? How hard is it to get that in there? (including wiring, tranny, driveshaft, etc...) Looks beautiful, can't wait to see how it is when she's done. Gonna post up vids when done?

The single would have put the project over the top cost wise. Plus, 320hp is no joke. It's also not just the single, you also need injectors, fuel management, ect... We have friends that are making 380whp with just a boost controller on the JDM stock twins.

Exhaust is custom from the turbos to the test pipe, and then he has a Blitz Nur Spec catback. It's gonna sound sweet.

As for the wiring, we bought a brand new 2jz-gte US engine harness and swapped on all the body connectors from the mk3. The plus of this is that he has a 2jz-gte ecu and the 2jz-gte Supra ecu connectors (not Aristo), so if he ever wants to go single and run a standalone, it will be plug and play. There is also no lengthening of this harness required so it is as reliable as possible. We know of people who have modified 1jz harnesses to work and used a 1jz ecu, but I am really not comfortable with that idea. I mean, the 1jz ecu was designed to run a 2.5l, true twin engine, and has all the fuel and ignition maps for the 1jz. You throw that on a 2jz and something has to be different, and I don't see how it could be good. But like always, thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Last edited:

hardcharger

#1 935 groupie
Oct 28, 2005
San Diego
wow, way to go arron. looking good. yeah your will be done WAY before mine. but then again he plans on his car running soon. mine is definately not. I'm also goin with a little bigger setup. anyways thats what we're doin too goin with the US harness, but we're goin AEM right off the bat.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
hardcharger said:
wow, way to go arron. looking good. yeah your will be done WAY before mine. but then again he plans on his car running soon. mine is definately not. I'm also goin with a little bigger setup. anyways thats what we're doin too goin with the US harness, but we're goin AEM right off the bat.

Nice! Should be worth the wait!

hardcharger

#1 935 groupie
Oct 28, 2005
San Diego
joe is right, all the REALLY fast supras are autos. its the only way to run low 9's etc.

edit: someone is goin to prove me wrong, but auto is what the fastest cars are using. but he is definately not goin to be running 9's right now so manual is definately funner

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
auto trannys are only popular in america, all drag race monsters and other fast cars run manual trannys ;) Auto is only good for cruising at the fast lane or in the normal city driving, but when it get to sport... NO AUTO's ;)