Drift suspension intel

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Just the usual, a track, helmet, and practice. Oh, and money. :)

Seriously though, we have a few members on here who like to drift their cars, they pop in from time to time, and could probably help you out a little. Learning how to transfer the weight around on these cars helps a lot too.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
You don't need a hydraulic handbrake. Just make sure your cable e brake is working good. It's good that you replaced the old spring and shocks. Tires. You will need many many tires.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
planemos;1886855 said:
You don't need a hydraulic handbrake. Just make sure your cable e brake is working good

If you do this expect to be going through a lot of brake shoes. The stock park brake system is exactly that.....a park brake system. They are not meant to be ripped to get the back end out in a corner. The shoe linings themselves are only something like 3/32" thick brand new.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
You might want an aggressive alignment. And since you are lowered you might need adjustable suspension bits at least in the rear.. Not sure what's good but I see A1 and BattleVersion etc.

RedPhoenix

Kill it with fire!
Sep 23, 2009
Tampa, FL
Everyone does. My buddy just got into drifting about a year ago... No major hits yet, but shit will get destroyed.

66332_10151091026046546_2064596424_n.jpg

579653_10151091026181546_1094854191_n.jpg

But feels great when you do slide...
303919_435354436527666_148791042_n.jpg

BTW, he has Powered by Max coilovers, 3/4 stripped interior (still have dash/door panels), half cage, aftermarket rear arms, weir diff kit, brides, and harnesses. It does very well, its very under powered (NA 2jz) but he wanted to learn the car before doubling the power.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
RedPhoenix;1887968 said:
Everyone does. My buddy just got into drifting about a year ago... No major hits yet, but shit will get destroyed.
Agreed on the things breaking...

RedPhoenix;1887968 said:
It does very well, its very under powered (NA 2jz) but he wanted to learn the car before doubling the power.
You know, there are a couple schools of thought that I've seen. Either have a ton of power, or a lightweight car you can haul ass into the corners with. I slid my old Miata around probably more than the Supras or SS, both have a different approach. Supra and SS, a bit of weight transfer and hard on the throttle to break the rears free, using the gas to control the car.

The Miata though, you had to have some brass ones... go into the corner a lot faster than seems smart, get it sideways, and try to keep from spinning. :p

Bulkierzero

Jan 14, 2012
Rosemount,MN
You dont really need much all i have is stance coilovers and worn out lsd basically an open diff. I was able to drift using alot of steering work. You dont need to use a hydraulic hand brake or a crazy diff. Best way to start is by going out there with a basically stock car and just have fun and learn how your car will react. Then when you learn weight transfer you can upgrade. And remember to just have fun

my7mgte527

ill b honest for me all my car is about is fun bc i got he car bc of my father bringing me to a car show at 13 and i love it for that day and i wana cherish it and also have alot of fun with me i mainly did all the work on it and wen it had the old engine i did a top end job on it it took out the 78 impala my dad has and i built the engine and that was from a roll.. i think i scared him wen i started to slike onto his street and thats how i decided i wanted to learn how to drift

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
my7mgte527;1891182 said:
ill b honest for me all my car is about is fun bc i got he car bc of my father bringing me to a car show at 13 and i love it for that day and i wana cherish it and also have alot of fun with me i mainly did all the work on it and wen it had the old engine i did a top end job on it it took out the 78 impala my dad has and i built the engine and that was from a roll.. i think i scared him wen i started to slike onto his street and thats how i decided i wanted to learn how to drift

He should have taken you to school instead of that show. That was a long and difficult sentence to read.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
If you are just looking to mess around I would suggest:

-Stiffer suspension (may want actual coilovers) and sway bars.
-Welded diff or Weir MAXGRIP KIT #3
-And a bucket seat (hard to control a car when you're getting thrown about)

Just a note: I remember a guy that drifted his mk3 saying he removed the rear swaybar. It made transitions easier.

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
I can personally vouch for GOOD coils. I went drifting today (on track, no street drifting here) and I had a ton of oversteer and body roll.
If I keep drifting there will be a lot of changes needed, starting with new coils, a fender roll, and bushings.

240Krystin

May 9, 2012
Shreveport, La
I got BC racing coilovers for my supra. So far I love them! The only bad part about them is that they don't have camber adjustment. PBM and stance are some of my favorite coilovers though. I've had them on some of my 240sx's. Hydro is not extremely necessary until you start doing high speed entries. I would suggest adjustable everything suspension wise. You need a good alignment! As much as this sounds retarded, you need traction to drift properly. You will also most likely need to get frequent alignments because sliding will knock out your alignment regularly.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
AbsoluteSpeed;1891234 said:
If you are just looking to mess around I would suggest:
-And a bucket seat (hard to control a car when you're getting thrown about)
I would argue with you there on account that the stock Mk3 seat (despite the weight) is probably the most supportive and comfortable seat I've ever sat in in a car. Now, if it just doesn't fit you very well, maybe then start looking into buckets.

I still want to slap whoever came up with the idea of putting rather flat, leather seats in a Miata from the factory. Talk about being thrown all over the place...

240Krystin;1891331 said:
As much as this sounds retarded, you need traction to drift properly.
Wait, you mean the old "If you aren't outta control, you ain't in control" saying isn't true? GASP!

Seriously though, this is true. How do you think people make sudden and controlled transitions? Grip. ;)

tonyphip

Mar 8, 2012
minnesota
my7mgte527;1886585 said:
I'm trying to set my supra for drift so far I have st sway bars lowering springs and mk3 shocks that are 30% stiffer. I kno I need a hydronic hand brake but is there anything else I may need... Any information would be great View attachment 61964

I have a stock suspension in my supra ive been able to drift it but its tough. the stuff you have done should only help