Drag Wheel/Tire and Suspension thread

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Well after returning from the strip last night, and realizing that it was almost a waste of time going on my street wheels and tires with a lowered car, its time to go shopping for some traction!

What are you guys running and how do you like it? what are your 60's like?

here is what im looking at getting (opinions welcomed, and encouraged!)

Weld draglites 15x8 +5 backspacing in the rear, 15x4 +1.5 in the front.

wld-90-755344_cp.jpg

and some hoosier slicks for the rear:

hoo-18120.jpg

and I have no idea what tires to put on the front, suggestions?

as far as suspension goes, I was going to go back to stock for now and see how well that does with the new wheels and tires, up for suggestions there as well! I want to fit 26" tall tires in the rear.

Ill edit this post in a week or two with my new stuff and how I like it, running my current set up on 16psi, I just did a full 1/8 burnout, at 1/2 throttle... :3d_frown:

Hopefully we can get this so almost ever post has some technical information in it, this one included once I become part of the drag racing club! I can already tell its addicting!!

Jon

z1turbo

Apr 24, 2005
lenexa kansas
s4.photobucket.com
I am also interestred to hear what people say about tire and supension combo.
I was thinking maybe and adjustable shock of some kind, an NA spring, and i would like to have a set of centerline telstars with mickey tompsons 28x11.50 et street tire, on a 15 inch wheel and then a matching skinny up front.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
From what I've heard, the soft, stock suspension setup is very good for the drag because the car will squat onto the rear wheels, transferring weight and helping to gain traction. A stiff suspension can be a bad thing because weight stays in the front, and the rear wheels don't have weight pushing on them to prevent slippage. As far as size, I'm not sure other than a 60 series sidewall because you want a soft tire.

Adam

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
z1turbo said:
I am also interestred to hear what people say about tire and supension combo.
I was thinking maybe and adjustable shock of some kind, an NA spring, and i would like to have a set of centerline telstars with mickey tompsons 28x11.50 et street tire, on a 15 inch wheel and then a matching skinny up front.

you are gonna have to do some serious work to get 28x11.5 in there. 27's barely fit.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
15x8 w/ 5.5" bs and a 26x10.5 ET street or hoosier QTP.

up front 15x4" with a 3/8" spacer and a 26x7.5" MT sportsman front (if you expect it to have some street time), or a 25 or 26" Moroso frontrunner.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Slow66 said:
15x8 w/ 5.5" bs and a 26x10.5 ET street or hoosier QTP.

up front 15x4" with a 3/8" spacer and a 26x7.5" MT sportsman front (if you expect it to have some street time), or a 25 or 26" Moroso frontrunner.

whats your suspension setup?

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Back when i used that setup it was stock with a cut coil. Now i fabbed a straight axle setup, so i can use whatever size tire i want :p :D

As ive stated in the past, 28" tires will rub with that wheel when the car squats. 26" tires are your best bet, and keep in mind that slicks and ET streets are sized differently. 10.5" et street is = to 8.5" slick. trying to fit a 10.5 slick is liek fitting a 12.5 et street, so the distinction between slick and DOT slick is a big one....

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
I still say Hoosier QTP FTW, I have 26X10.5 16's on a set of sawblades.

Slow66- I see you updated you sig to say "coming soon", insead of "summer 06" I was going to get on you about that. WE NEED UPDATES!

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Slow66 said:
Back when i used that setup it was stock with a cut coil. Now i fabbed a straight axle setup, so i can use whatever size tire i want :p :D

As ive stated in the past, 28" tires will rub with that wheel when the car squats. 26" tires are your best bet, and keep in mind that slicks and ET streets are sized differently. 10.5" et street is = to 8.5" slick. trying to fit a 10.5 slick is liek fitting a 12.5 et street, so the distinction between slick and DOT slick is a big one....

ok so to be 100% sure im not retarded, this setup will work?:

15x8 wheels (like you have)
with a 26 x 8.5 slick.

edit: now im confused! you said you ran an 8" wide wheel, with 10.5 slicks, which according to your post, would be equal to a 12.5" tire? just pasify me hear and make it easy, you essentially* ran an 8 inch wheel with a 12.5 inch tire, thats all Im wondering

the tires should fit fine on those wheels, and not rub?

* = note lack of education on the subject

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
Slow66 said:

yep was just gonna mention that as well, good call. i guess thats why this is "your house" lol
radials are measured by section width where slicks are measured by contact width.

but i would also like to add do not mix bi-ply and radial tires, esp on an IRS car. they squirm something terrible at speed.

one last thing, i found an article testing drag radials and slicks. the mickey thompson et streets were the best of the dot approved tires, the mt et drag radials were the best of the semi-street drag radials (altho the newer hoosier radials were not tested) and i dont recall the best slick. i dont think it was mt tho, they didnt make a clean sweep so to speak. but all were fairly close.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
GotTurbos? said:
ok so to be 100% sure im not retarded, this setup will work?:

15x8 wheels (like you have)
with a 26 x 8.5 slick.

edit: now im confused! you said you ran an 8" wide wheel, with 10.5 slicks, which according to your post, would be equal to a 12.5" tire? just pasify me hear and make it easy, you essentially* ran an 8 inch wheel with a 12.5 inch tire, thats all Im wondering

the tires should fit fine on those wheels, and not rub?

* = note lack of education on the subject

I dont know where it says i ran 10.5 slicks, but i always used 26x10.5 Et streets on both 15 and 16" rims...I tried 28" x 10.5s on the 15x8 (5.5)bs draglited but they rubbed bad on squat, so i had to go back to 26s.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Slow66 said:
I dont know where it says i ran 10.5 slicks, but i always used 26x10.5 Et streets on both 15 and 16" rims...I tried 28" x 10.5s on the 15x8 (5.5)bs draglited but they rubbed bad on squat, so i had to go back to 26s.

haha, now that I went back and read it again, you didnt! :1zhelp:

thanks for all the help guys!

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
GotTurbos? said:
haha, now that I went back and read it again, you didnt! :1zhelp:

thanks for all the help guys!

I didnt think i did, but then again, people dont call me "slow" for nothing...lol

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
255/50/16 MT ET streets 2.0 60fts still workin on pressures and how much to heat them up, oh and on sawblades

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
Removing the front sway bar and strut bar if you have one will also allow the front to pick up more giving better weight distrobution to the back resulting in more traction. It helps quite a bit