drag suspension, stock springs?

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
hey everyone. i'm getting close to wrapping it up with motor mods and its time to think about suspention. i'd like opinions and input in this setup.

i think i want to set it up for the drag strip. so i want it to be able to squat alot on launch right? so i'm thinking of getting a nice set of shocks(koni yellows) with aftermarket springs in the front, and leaving the stockers in the rear because they have a softer spring rate. pair all that with some st swaybars(front would be disconected a the strip).

so are the stock springs just crappy, or are the aftermarket ones just so much better that dispite their 400lbs/in the car willl squat and hook? thats the main question here.

any input Slow? i know yo have expiriance with this.

Edit: and what would make me really happy is if someone could suggest a good book on this subject. i found a few on amazon but any suggestions would be nice. i like to get this kind of info from a book.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2003
Canada
You can go that way or go with coilovers. I loosen mine off for the track and has great handling for the street. Don't listen to anyone that thinks coilovers suck for strip either. I have pulled many 1.6's and a couple of 1.5's on my set-up :)

Duane

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
yeah thanks koulee, i've seen that a while ago but gave it a re-read none the less. coilovers are of course better than just shocks and springs i know. but the goal for this car is now 12.5(was 13.5) and i'm shure i can run that time without spending the $$ on a set of coilovers. maybe i should just find the aftermarket spring set with the softest rear springs?

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
souprat said:
yeah thanks koulee, i've seen that a while ago but gave it a re-read none the less. coilovers are of course better than just shocks and springs i know. but the goal for this car is now 12.5(was 13.5) and i'm shure i can run that time without spending the $$ on a set of coilovers. maybe i should just find the aftermarket spring set with the softest rear springs?

For a 12.5 goal, the 100% stock set up is more than enough. You should be able to cut low 1.8 60 footers with only 350 to 360 hp to hit 12.5 on stock springs and stock tems

boost PSSH boost

SM's Welding Guru
Apr 4, 2005
Marshall, WI
I had very good results with the stock springs.

In the morning it weighed in at 3454 with me in it. I was running nitto 245 drag radials with 14psi.

60-1 CT26 19psi
550cc/lex/walbro/AFPR 11.4:1 afr's
Intake, exhaust, act clutch, fidanza fly, 3.91 lsd
12.49 @111mph 1.87 60'