Drag radials or slicks?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Do any of you guys that race on here run slicks or drag radials? I've been going to the track racing about every saturday night at our local 1/8 mile track. My car spins like crazy trying to get out of the hole, and it is killing my times. My 60' times are like 2.3 - 2.6.......When I had my auto in the car, before the swap, I was getting 2.2's consistently. I was told to buy some MT drag radials or slicks. I'm leaning towards the drag radials, simply for the fact that I'm scared with slicks I might break something. I'm hoping that the DR will get me out of the hole quicker without actually glueing my car to the pavement and braking something like a set of slicks might do. I know that sounds stupid, but I don't want to win a race so bad, that I tear my drivetrain up trying to get traction. I think that the drag radials will be a good compromise. Please give me your opinions on this. Thanks alot.............lol

Edit: It's kind of a technical question, so I posted it here instead of the racing section. Please move if it's in the wrong place and accept my sincerest apologies...........lol

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Drag Radials are fine. :) It is the same tire compound used with slicks, only there is a some so-called "tread" so it is supposeably street legal.;). For your case, DR's should be just fine...Just make sure you don't get anything that is too skinny for the rims you'll use...Contact Patch, FTW! ;)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I just erased my last post. Hopefully no one got to read it. Thanks for the response Jspec...........lol

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
i have mickey thompson et streets on my car.....i need to daily drive it and they came on the rims i bought....they have pretty much lost all tread after 2 months of daily driving....zero launches.....so make sure you only use them at the track

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I'm only going to use them at the track.

Jspec........I typed something about Patch. You said .....contact Patch FTW. Well I did a member search for Patch, and when I didn't find one, I reread your post and figured it out. Luckily I reread it befor someone read my post. I say enough stupid stuff. I didn't need EVERYONE to know how dumb I am...............lol

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
drag radials are easier to control at speeds then bias ply slicks so if you have never used them Its a good start. If your running on a real trck that uses the vht you will start breaking things on either the dr or the slick so just be careful.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
::hah:: ::hah:: ::hah:: ::hah::

suprahero said:
Jspec........I typed something about Patch. You said .....contact Patch FTW. Well I did a member search for Patch, and when I didn't find one, I reread your post and figured it out. Luckily I reread it befor someone read my post. I say enough stupid stuff. I didn't need EVERYONE to know how dumb I am...............lol

ROTFLMMFAO :yelrotflm :yelrotflm I HARDLY EVER LAUGH OUT LOUD ON THE COMPUTER, LOL. That is one of the funniest things ever!!! :rofl:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
89turbosupra said:
drag radials are easier to control at speeds then bias ply slicks so if you have never used them Its a good start. If your running on a real trck that uses the vht you will start breaking things on either the dr or the slick so just be careful.

What is the weakest link (other than me) on my drive train? Will a universal joint break before something like the rearend or driveshaft breaks? Would I break an axle? What do you think the first thing to break would be? Thanks.

Hopefully the first thing to break will be traction. That's why I'm wanting to go with the drag radials...........lol

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
suprahero said:
What is the weakest link (other than me) on my drive train? Will a universal joint break before something like the rearend or driveshaft breaks? Would I break an axle? What do you think the first thing to break would be? Thanks.

Hopefully the first thing to break will be traction. That's why I'm wanting to go with the drag radials...........lol

tractions arms, ours are TINY

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
Im new to the supra world but built some cars to go down the track. ive heard the traction arms bend the first time you get good traction. the next part I would think would be the U joints as those things are tiny as well.I ve herd the axles can hold up pretty well but the torsen gives out if it was not taken care of during its life.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I have new ujoints, and I can get another set of traction arms. It's probably not worth having to pay 350.00 for a set of drag radials, and then have to fix everything you break because of the dr. I refuse to race again though and spin for two seconds. Either I buy dr, or I don't race at the track. I guess it would be alot cheaper not to race, but I doubt I choose that route.............lol

Boss302

May 2, 2006
Mobile, Al
go to horsepowerfreaks.com or suprasport.com for your rear end reinforcement i know that HPF have bulkier arms and draglinks and things of the sort oh also adjustable dampers hell yeah. a solid rear frame mount would help too s.s. can help you with that also with the polyurithane amster bushing set and BIC performance is working on solid aluminum bushings for the rear frame.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
lol @ contact patch

as was said, i wouldnt mix bias ply and radial tires. esp slicks and radial tires. at speed the car likes to squirm.

from experience + research the mickey thompson et drag radials are the way to go. still a radial tire so no squirm and they hook like nobody's business.

another thing you might try is air up the front tires. i usually run 44psi in the fronts for the track. what this does is create a smaller contact patch thereby reducing rolling resistance. just dont forget to air them back down for the street. it will feel a little funny taking corners from the lack of sidewall flex and the tire will wear uneven.

good luck!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Thanks alot guys. I found a set of Nitto drag radials. I think I'm going to buy them tomorrow. They were rated number one for overall performance. The MT drag radial was the number one for hooking up. I think the Nitto will be a good balance for what I need.
Dbsupra.....I did air my front tires up to 42 psi. this past saturday night. I lowered my back tires down to 20 psi. It seemed to help a little. I really appreciate your help.
Boss, thanks for your help also. Hopefully we'll get a meet going this fall and have a few southeastern people show up.........lol

SublimeSupra

Dreams of the Touge
Jan 17, 2006
Largo,Fl
Suprahero hey i got a 10.4 67 fairlane on MT slicks and that thing is scary up top the rear of the car squirms as someone in a before post stated so go drag radials i had the BFG drag radials on it before and i liked them didnt hook as well but alot more comfortable of a feal and for your power level should be great.And i recommend the A-1 traction arms pretty good bang for the buck with them.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
dbsupra90 said:
another thing you might try is air up the front tires. i usually run 44psi in the fronts for the track. what this does is create a smaller contact patch thereby reducing rolling resistance. just dont forget to air them back down for the street. it will feel a little funny taking corners from the lack of sidewall flex and the tire will wear uneven.

good luck!

^^^Good speaking man right there. :icon_bigg

This is very true. Also, while you're up there, disconnect your front sway bars. As originally posted in the "Guide to drag strip success" thread, "When at the track, disconnect the front sway bars. This goes back to the original concept that I talked about earlier. Transfer of weight to the rear of the vehicle. With the front sway bar disconnected it allows free movement of the front suspension. Lets weight shift occur easier." :icon_surp

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I'm going tomorrow morning to get a set of Nitto drag radials with a couple of aluminum wheels to match the ones I've got on my car. My lovely wife is buying the tires for my birthday and I'm buying the wheels. Wow!!!!!what a woman................:naughty: