Downpipe Question

Kemosabe

Cruzin' The Old Pueblo
Nov 11, 2006
Tucson, Az.
Is there a drawback to using one of the 3" stainless downpipes with the flex section to relieve stress from alignment other than the appearance?

john93t

Oct 19, 2007
Norwich
Titan downpipe, and as has been said...flex is good
p1047606_1.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Your engine moves, without a flex it will make the entire exhaust move and put a lot of stress on the head/manifold/turbo.

Same if you go over a speedbump and scrape hard, the force goes somewhere...

jonny87turbo

Dec 9, 2006
ohio
john93t;1047606 said:
Titan downpipe, and as has been said...flex is good
p1048446_1.jpg

john93t, I looked at titan motorsports website. Do all of there down pipes come with a flex section or does it have to be added on?

Kemosabe

Cruzin' The Old Pueblo
Nov 11, 2006
Tucson, Az.
jonny87turbo;1048446 said:
john93t, I looked at titan motorsports website. Do all of there down pipes come with a flex section or does it have to be added on?

That's what threw me. Seems like most of the ones I looked at, including the popular BIC, appear to be rigid. The HKS advertises a flex, but it does not eliminate the restrictive stock turbo elbow.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
The stock bevel-accordian type that came stock on the Supra flexed enough by design to last a long time. That design is still used but tends to fail over time. Mine failed there prompting me to get a new downpipe. There's a truck manufacturer that just recently was advising to check for breaks in their pipe which is the same design.

The stainless steel flex pipe protected with the braids is the solution that I have seen most because it must flex or something else is gonna give down the line (exhaust).

My problem is the pipe is so big that there's less room under the car but no cat in the engine area is very nice. If I hit reverse hard enough the pipe will hit the floorboard.

john93t

Oct 19, 2007
Norwich
jonny87turbo;1048446 said:

This is how it came, i got this one through Rich at summit,

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
My cooleeze DP has a different type of flex section on it than the SS braided type. Does the BIC not have one at all? Mine's a type of SS wound pipe weleded onto the DP. It reminds me of the exhaust flex material you can buy at Advanced Auto...

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
the only con with a flex section is sometimes it can be slightly smaller ID than the rest of the DP.

I have run a flex-less BIC for over 3 years on numerous turbos without issue but YMMV

jonny87turbo

Dec 9, 2006
ohio
john93t;1049418 said:
This is how it came, i got this one through Rich at summit,

I went to summit's car show today and I asked a guy at the counter if they had any down pipes for my supra he said they dont carry any down pipes. :dunno: