DOT/Snell Approved helmets

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
i paid around 150 canadian for mine from a local shop. just a plain white THH if memory serves. i cant remember too much about my poor helmet as it hasnt seen any action since last summer before i sold the old supra :1zhelp:

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Assuming its DOT/Snell approved, its a good deal. What brand is it?

I paid $450 for my motorcycle helmet(obviously dont wanna cheap out on that), and my car helmet was $300, so to me, anything under $200 is a steal to me...lol

It goes without saying that safety is the #1 priority at the track, so if you can afford a good helmet, by all means do it. But any helmet is better than no helmet. Could mean the difference between life and death....

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
and if youre on the east coast and visiting ETOWN, the helmets they rent are NOT approved or allowed for use in cars running 13.99 or faster.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com

dav_dman

old guy
Oct 23, 2005
louisville KY/so.IN metro area
dot is means it's made of plastic instead of paper mache'. You're gonna die.

snell rating is the the deal to pay attention to.. saoo is a snell rating. Snell died wearing a dot helmet, so his family setup the foundation to test helmets and raise the safety stds up. Way up.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
hmm i had no idea there were 3 diff snell ratings. our track (drag) just requires snell 95 or better. they dont specify M, SA, K.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
dbsupra90 said:
hmm i had no idea there were 3 diff snell ratings. our track (drag) just requires snell 95 or better. they dont specify M, SA, K.

if they specifiy that, that means SA95. most drag strips really don't care though....you could probably get away w/a bike helmet!

i've never seen anyone require any K rated stuff...

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
I heard that Dot helmets are better than snell because snell is made of a harder material and if you crash you may have a worse injury than if you were to use a dot approved helmet. I used an AFX FX-9 motocross helmet back in my dirtbike days, it was quite comfy.
-Steve

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
drjonez said:
if they specifiy that, that means SA95. most drag strips really don't care though....you could probably get away w/a bike helmet!

i've never seen anyone require any K rated stuff...

last time i was at the track i rented their helmet and dialed in a 13.9. one of the guys said that i would have to get another helmet if i am going to be running 13.9 or faster. so my first run i only got around 14.00. after i broke into the 13s with a 13.7 i thought the guy was gonna give me a hard time, but he didnt give me a second look.

dav_dman

old guy
Oct 23, 2005
louisville KY/so.IN metro area
dav_dman said:
dot is means it's made of plastic instead of paper mache'. You're gonna die.

snell rating is the the deal to pay attention to.. saoo is a snell rating. Snell died wearing a dot helmet, so his family setup the foundation to test helmets and raise the safety stds up. Way up.
crrider, you heard wrong. Google it and tell you friend how to get his head out of his ass and put a snell helmet on it. You'll save his life.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
crrider80 said:
I heard that Dot helmets are better than snell because snell is made of a harder material and if you crash you may have a worse injury than if you were to use a dot approved helmet. I used an AFX FX-9 motocross helmet back in my dirtbike days, it was quite comfy.
-Steve

ummmmmmmmmmm. maybe for motorcycling.

if you're in a car, you need an SA rated helmet.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
M rated helmets are designed for one large impact, like you would see when getting thrown off of a bike. SA rated helmets are designed to withstand several impacts like what will happen when rolling a car and banging your head against the roll cage a bunch of times. I think just the DOT rated helmets are just enough to keep your brain from falling out of the helmet when you have a hard impact.

hot dayam mk3

Oct 17, 2005
i used an open face helmet i bought for $175 from pyrotect. now i wont be able to use it for some events cuz they now require full face helmets, especially for speed trials USA. i hate full face helmets epecially in 105+ degree weather.