door lock linkage jammed

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
hey guys, long time no holler at! too busy trying to get my life out of the toilet. anyway, a funny thing happened to me on the way to the promised land. my passenger side door linkage jammed, and the door is locked shut, and is unopenable. does anyone know how i can get the door open to fix this mess? thanks in advance to any who choose to help.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Are you trying to say it won't unlock, or it cannot be opened? Hopefully by this point you have tried to get in the car from one of the other two doors at your disposal, correct?

Once you get the door open (really shouldn't be that hard unless you have something majorly wrong inside the door), it is a matter of pulling off the door panel and seeing where your trouble is. Good luck! :)

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
i see that i should have been more clear. no, the door won't unlock, or open. can't take the panel off if the door isn't open. and yes, i can get in the car through the drivers door. tried to unlock the door one day, and the lever stopped halfway, and it won't unlock.

zby67

Nov 15, 2010
Texas
iv been looking at my TRSM book and thinking of a way to help you out. this sounds like the opposite of my issue my door wont lock. the only thing i can come up with is buy a replacement door insert panel and cut into your current one so you can gain access to the inside of your door. fix said issue to get the door and lock working properly. besides that you might be able to take apart your rear insert panels next to the rear seats to possibly unbolt the bar that it locks to. or take it to a Toyota Dealer and see if they can do anything. hopefully someone with more knowledge then me might know a better way so you dont have to destroy your door insert.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
yeah, i thought of that, but it's a last resort. that's why i posted here, to see if there was an alternative. oh well, the search goes on.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1874590 said:
Locksmith might be able to get into your door through the seal and get it open...
Had a cop open the door to my mom's old car when my little brother (very young at the time) somehow tripped the power locks and locked himself in the car with the car running... Not sure how hard it is to get into a Supra like this, but a locksmith should know. ;)

EDIT: Have you tried the gentle smack technique? Not so hard that you dent or damage anything, just enough to maybe get whatever it is causing the issue to move a bit out of the way? You can still get the little cup below the inside door handle out with the panel on, not hard. Try that and see if you can see into the door and its linkages at all.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
If the rods are jammed you might be in trouble.

First thing to try is the power locks. Lock, unlock, repeat. The power lock mechanism is closer to the actual lock than the toggle is, so it might be able to manipulate it where you can't from the toggle.

Next thing I'd try is removing the door handle to see if you can get to the lock rod from the toggle to the back. It's not exactly close to the handle, but it's the only access inside the door you can get to easily. If nothing else, you might be able to free it from whatever it's jammed on by just wiggling it.

Failing that, a slimjim might be able to get to the lock rod from the bellcrank to the actual lock mechanism.

Good luck!

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
This happens to me often but my car is a gutted out drift car. When it happens I just reach inside the door and unlock it inside there right by the latch. It's at the back of the door and it is hard to reach and pry with your fingers. It is hard to see in there even with my door panels off.
The switch on the door is connected to a long rod, which is connected to another rod with some swing points on the assembly. It really sucks. Try to get the electric lock mechanism to work, that is for sure a good suggestion by Dan_Gyoba. If not then a locksmith should be able to help but I have never gone to a locksmith befere so I'm not sure how they do it.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
planemos;1874715 said:
This happens to me often but my car is a gutted out drift car. When it happens I just reach inside the door and unlock it inside there right by the latch. It's at the back of the door and it is hard to reach and pry with your fingers. It is hard to see in there even with my door panels off.
The switch on the door is connected to a long rod, which is connected to another rod with some swing points on the assembly. It really sucks. Try to get the electric lock mechanism to work, that is for sure a good suggestion by Dan_Gyoba. If not then a locksmith should be able to help but I have never gone to a locksmith befere so I'm not sure how they do it.

nope, it's a different problem. no available method will unlock the door. not electrically, not manually, not by key, or inside door handle

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
good ideas all, thanks. i was kinda hoping for someone who knows how to slim jim the door. if i knew the technique, i have a slim jim kit.