dont think its a rod knocking

Arhoades11

Apr 22, 2009
Lynn, Indiana, United States
well i bought a 89 supra 7mge about 4 or 5 weeks ago an dthe guy told me it had a rod knock. this car is clean inside and has only one or two spots of rust on the outside i started it up when i first got it home and its what i exspected sounded like a rod. well i havent had time to mess with it but today i got the day off and didnt have to go to school so i was taking a look at it i started it up and a hear a clink sound so i shut it off fast and was messing around with it seeing if it threw the rod as i was looking around i seem all the belts came off and the harmonic balancer was laying across the crossmember. so i started it back up for a min to see if the noise was still there it is gone but i didnt run it for long becasue i didnt want it over heating with the water pump not running. it didnt hurt any of the belts and it didnt hurt the crank it really just looks like it fell off.
i read somestuff about this happing to other ppl but there cases didnt really sound like mine since it didnt hurt anything do any of you guys had anything like this happen to you where it didnt hurt anything

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Check out the key that keeps the pulley where it is supposed to be. Thats the part that usually gets messed up with a wobbly pulley.

A wobbly crank pulley is often mis-diagnosed as RN on 7M's.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If the harmonic balencer is not on then you will prolly get a knock and could destroy your front bearings. I would not run it till its back on.

Arhoades11

Apr 22, 2009
Lynn, Indiana, United States
im not sure my dad said he still thinks he hears something but im not sure i cant hear it setting in the car i didnt have it started very long im going to buy a new harmonic balancer and put it back on i just took the bolt and key off my other 7m i have ill let you guys no later when i start messing with it today is my last day off and i have school all day