Dok's E85 powered 2jzge-T build

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Drove around some more at lunch (~15mins or so) and the CEL never came on and car seemed to be running fine. This is without clearing the codes. Guess I need to drive it around some more and see WTF is going on...

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
I'm in knock sensor hell... Started throwing the code a little more regularly over the weekend so I went ahead and rewired in case I had an intermittent connection. Finished Saturday night and drove around some and the CEL came back, ugh...

Sunday me and the lady decided to take a cruise and have some breakfast in Marble Falls, CEL on the way there, didn't come on on the trip back (~1hr) nor for the rest of the day after ~120mi of driving. WTF, seriously.

On the way to work today I was almost convinced it had somehow fixed itself and then as I was pulling into the parking garage, mf'ing CEL came on again.

At this point I think I've ruled out wiring and ECU (unless both of my ECUs have issues with the knock circuit), trying to find a set of 2j knock sensors locally to swap 'em out. I have 3 spare 7M ones but I don't have the connectors for them unfortunately...

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Great to meet you too! Didn't get to dyno, they bumped us lowly MKIIIs for some high hp MKIVs that showed up late. Ran a 13.2@110 today though, which by the online calculator puts me at about 400rwhp.

Good luck getting your car on the road!

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Put my 15psi wastegate spring in tonight, damn I shoulda one that before 2k9! It was a bitch to get in, but the car pulls like a freight train at 19psi, crappy ebay wastegate won't let me run any more which is probably better for my motor haha.

It's going a little lean above 5500rpms, adding fuel via the SAFC doesn't help. I've got 20% pulled up to that point at the AFR is 12:1 spot on but creeps to 12.5:1 or so by 6k. Thinking I may be maxing out the AFM or possibly the fuel rail as I don't think my fuel system or 880cc injectors are maxed at that point. Any thoughts?

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Figured I'd post an update for anyone still watching :)

Bumped the fuel pressure and took care of the lean issue, looks like some 1000cc injectors are in my future though... Also picked up a new wastegate that will hopefully work better than the one that's currently on the car.

Been doing some small stuff lately, new outer tie rod ends and lower ball joints, also killed my harmonic balancer and started getting a mean vibration so I've got a couple of spares on the way as well as a Lotek pod to replace the fugly universal one that came in the car. My lip arrived from Shine this week as well, will have some pics as soon as I paint it and slap it on!

Hoping to have everything done by mid-May so I can head to Dallas for the meet at MVP and get 'er on the dyno...

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Quick update-put the new wastegate in yesterday and cranked the boost back up but she'd only hit about 17psi with a really bad sputter while boost was building. Been on that train before, busted out the boost leak tester and it looks like I've killed another elbow on the turbo outlet :( This'll be #2 I think, lasted about 5k with heat wrap on the manifold and it.

I ordered an aramid reinforced hose from HoseTechniques this morning that's rated to 500F (been using siliconeintakes.com couplers that are only rated to 330F) so hopefully it'll last a little longer. I'll probably eventually just have an elbow welded to my compressor housing, but this turbo has unfortunately developed some shaft play in the 10k miles I've used it so I don't think it's worth the $$ until I have it rebuilt or replace it down the road, plus the PO of the turbo rounded off the head of the housing bolt behind the oil drain so I can't get the comp housing off...

Front end is all done and aligned, feels much better with new BJs and TREs! Also got my Lotek pod installed, looks much better than the universal one that was on there before.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
hey dok, which wastegate did you end up switching to? and what problems did you have with the ebay one?
i had to go w/ the cheapo one, cuz i can't afford a $400 WG lol

this thread makes me wanna grab my buddys old is300 motor and throw it in my hardtop for a serious track car :)

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
I got another ebay one (from cxracing), I think I damaged the first one by installing it incorrectly back in my more inexperienced days (I'm just less inexperienced now lol) and it never sealed right after that. New one works like a charm and at $70 its a much more budget friendly option :)

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
oohh ic, good to know, hopefully mine will be ok. just got it in today and when i opened it up the diaphram was kinda folded/squished a lil bit on the sides where its supossed to move. hopefully i fixed it.

oh and did you ever end up rotating your WG flange? didn't notice in the thread if you did or not.
thanks!