doing head gasket replacement few ???'s

tomjan87

Apr 18, 2005
Madison, WI
Hello,
I am about to start doing a head gasket change. Mine didnt blow yet, but i have the time now and i bought all the stuff, and i dont want to wait for problems if i can fix it first.

So. I am using the stock head gasket from toyota. I have a full engine gasket kit and arp bolts. I have all the tools needed, and i have pulled a head off of the engine before, just never put it back on. lol.

I was wondering:

it there something written on here that gives step by step, i have looked and searched and i cant find anything, read a lot of good info though.

Is it time worthy to pull the engine completely out, or just do it in car. i can do either, i have the equiptment.

i heard something about break queit, and also sealing the timeing belt cover i think so it doesnt leak oil.

i think that is all i can think of now. thanks for any help. i throw a build thread up since im painting the whole car also. its in good shape only 80k on it.

thanks !!

tomjan87

Apr 18, 2005
Madison, WI
thanks. that should help if i run into any problems.

i was looking for a step by step with all steps and possible problems covered. anyoneknow ?

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
turbo?

do you plan to make the gasket last?

proper mhg installation should last 10x that of an oem head gasket, though it envoles head surface and block surface,

though will need to tare block to bare,

for just a stock hg replacement, leaving it in the car will be fine, just make sure the surfaces are clean but dont use any surface wheels or grinders or files

use solvents and a new razor blade. and go slowly so you dont grove,. or remove material,

use a straight egde and feeler gauges to make sure your surfaces are flat and smooth.

tomjan87

Apr 18, 2005
Madison, WI
it is a turbo, i know a mhg will last much much longer and under higher boost levels. i dont have the money for that. and there are plenty of people who are running stock for a long time under higher boost levels than i plan on running.

i only run 10 lbs at most. i need to upgrade the fuel system first, but prolly not soon.

thanks for the help