Does anyone use Toyota Brand motor oil in their Supra?

nesupra87

Sep 11, 2007
Nebraska
I have not seen anyone post information or opinions regarding Toyota motor oil. Anyone want to weigh in on the topic? I use it in my 89 Turbo, no mods, 100k on the odometer. Thanks.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
There's a reason you don't see it discussed much ;) Way over priced for what it is - there are better alternatives available for less $$$ - this is not opinion either. If you are going to pay that much for a quart of oil, buy Red Line and get the best there is. Or, you could buy Castrol European Formula (aka German Castrol) 0W-30 and get a top line PAO synthetic oil for a couple bucks less per quart. Of course, if you get the Toyota oil for free that's a different story.

What's more important is running the correct viscosity - a 0w, 5W or 10W-30 is what you want - the above German Castrol is outstanding.

Toyota filters (at least the Made in Thailand ones) are crap.

Might want to read the Motor Oil 101 link in my sig - read the stickies in this section as well.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Another good point. If you want the REAL Toyota oil filters, you need to spend way too much. The "real" ones have a green gasket iirc.

Point being, there are always much better alternatives than the dealer for fluids and filters.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
old_thread.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Nick M;1694635 said:
A dozen years or so ago, Havoline was the supplier of "Toyota" oil.

It might still be. I know when i worked there a couple years ago the oil we did everything with was havoline. Bottled ones idk tho.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
USPturbo89;1719763 said:
Well, i can get some Toyota oil for a really good price, and ill check on the filter when i go get mine done.

Suggest you read post #2 ;)