does anyone have 6.5" JL's mounted

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
in their doors? I have Infinity Reference 6.5" in now, but I want to upgrade & I'm curious if thier is a shallow set of JL's that will do the trick....

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
i have a set of JBL 6.5" in my doors and if your worried about clearnace issues just take a grinder and take away some of the metal on your door panel that goes in front of your speaker and get rid of any clearance issues

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I think Inifninty speakers would sound nicer than JL. I used to sell them and the plastic cones sound dull and the aliuminum tweeters are harsh and tinny. I actually cringe every time I see them going into a car on Unique whips.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Stick with your Infinity's. ;)

I've been rocking Infinity for years. They are absolutely amazing.

Depending on what JL's, they are all pretty nice..but Infinity just has that extra crisp high to them that is hard to find in any other speaker that doesn't overly rape you in your pocket.

-Jeff

JL7mgte

Mar 31, 2005
Reston, Virginia, United States
I've recently upgraded my XR's to the new ZR's 6.50's in my Supra. They sound great to me. I've had JL's in my car since '99. As far as the tweeters sounding harsh, I think that's a personal preference. Some like the sound a silk dome tweeter gives vs. an aluminum dome tweeter. For may home speakers I like silk domes better. You need to go and listem to them. Many places will let you here them in your car (if your serious about a purchase) before you buy them.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Boost Lee said:
Infinity just has that extra crisp high to them that is hard to find in any other speaker that doesn't overly rape you in your pocket.

-Jeff
Yeah, it's called a Titanium dome tweeter :icon_razz

In all seriousnss, the kappa perfect components are pretty decent sounding speakers.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
annoyingrob said:
Yeah, it's called a Titanium dome tweeter :icon_razz

In all seriousnss, the kappa perfect components are pretty decent sounding speakers.

I had a set of infinities, and HATED the harsh tweeters. Oh man wayy too crisp. Everytime cymbal would hit i wanted to drive off a cliff so it would end. And the woofers have some serious lack of midbass. They're decent speakers for the money, but i'll never ever ever ever buy another set again.

Now i've got a set of silkdome tweets with some CDTs- sooo much better.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Silk dome tweets for the win. Solid tweets are far too harsh.

I'm running the JL gear, I like them a lot - they survive a lot longer than the other sets I've tried. I've blown up a lot of stereo gear over the years...

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
GrimJack said:

I'm running the JL gear, I like them a lot - they survive a lot longer than the other sets I've tried. I've blown up a lot of stereo gear over the years...

Among other things :biglaugh:

Duane

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Tweeter selection is highly dependant on what you as the listener prefer. Personally, I prefer a soft dome tweeter too. I run some CDT EF61s, and wouldn't trade them for anything.

My brother runs the kappas in his car, and despite the tweeters being harsh for me, I think they sound pretty good.

Edit: 666th post. Mwa ha ha ha.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
GrimJack said:

I have to agree, solid tweets are way too harsh for my tastes. I think I'm going to try out some JL's. Any recommendations?

JL7mgte

Mar 31, 2005
Reston, Virginia, United States
rakkasan said:
I have to agree, solid tweets are way too harsh for my tastes. I think I'm going to try out some JL's. Any recommendations?

Nothing less than the XR series. Ge the ZR's if you have the cash. The TR's are good enough for rear fill. Personally I like a more agressive tweeter in my car. It give me more ajustability to tune around the road noise. The harshness can be smoothed out with a good head unit and crossover/eq.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm all about the CDT now.

EF-61cf.jpg

CDT EF61 FG components. Sound like heaven :)