Does anybody slide their mkIII?

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
johnathan1;1191079 said:
I spun out when I first got my turbo Supra...trying to make a left turn, gave it too much gas in 1st, the turbo spooled and I lost traction lol. I ended up facing the wrong direction in the middle of the road, luckily there was no traffic...

One car that is incredibly eager to drift and spin it's tires is my Mercedes 560SEC...even with an open diff, it can get scary...and you sill get sideways without even trying a lot of the time...after leaving the carwash (they put that tire shine stuff all over the tires) I did a 180* just trying to make a right turn out of the driveway. :O Torque is fun. :)

take your foot off the floor :sarcasm:

I like to get a little sideways once in awhile. Especially when or after it rains, an empty parking lot is always fun! Plus, you wont lose as much rubber compared to a dry surface. It's cool to show the drifting crowd that Supras can drift too....well, kind of ;)

I'll be getting more sideways now that my Supra is N/A. I gotta get used to driving the N/A again, not nearly as much power as my old GTE :(

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
I love taking the car out to deserted areas to get sideways and make some smoke. The stock LSD is a huge pain in the ass though. One day it will work perfect and the next day it will have a hard time locking both tires up...

Since I'm not a "drifter" I'm having a hard time deciding what diff is the right one to go with. The only options i know of are rebuilt stocker, 2 way kaaz (i really want a 1.5 way for more road course stuff) or the torsen out of the jza70.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Can't slide a 7M NA huh?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1191109_1.jpg

K, bai.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
TokyoHead;1190981 said:
To me it dosnt take as much to hold the car stright down a 1/4 mi track.

Uhm, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are PLENTY more grip racing events than drag racing... :nono:

Edit: That being said, this is from several years ago when my car was still in one piece, shortly after I turboswapped. I was just messing around in the parkinglot, not drifting. Killing tires is more like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3oSD64y2ec

soundwave2000

Tenshou Getsuga
Sep 30, 2007
Somerville Tn.
Kangae;1191073 said:
(By the way, how much light are you putting in front of you with your headlights like that, or do they go up more? Never was sure how they worked...)

If his are like mine, that is the off pos. when on they are at full open

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
KeithH;1188186 said:
There is drifting that the kids "call" drifting.

And then there's DRIFTING! HOLY CRAP! I just saw a video recently of some AMAZING drifting - dude is a pro. Dude was drifting around a guy on a segway that was moving forward the whole time. I wish I knew where I saw that video because it was INCREDIBLE!

To the actual drifters I say... WOW!

To the rest... YAWN!

If you're "drifting" on publc roads or open (not blocked off for a drifting practice or competition) parking lots... you're doing it wrong!

ken block isn't a drifter. thats gymkhana racing. its a different motorsport all together. think autocross mixxed with drifting.

Bomberillo

Banned
Nov 14, 2008
Lynwood
I personally love drifting. Watching it on t.v. is boring, but when you go to an event it is dam exciting. The smell of some good ol burnt rubber going sideways at 100mph is exhilarating. Plus you can pretty much drift any car as long as you have enough power and the suspension set up so you slide and not roll over. I however cant drift. Tires are too dam expensive.

TokyoHead

Jul 14, 2008
Ya Mamas house!
shaeff;1191143 said:
Uhm, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are PLENTY more grip racing events than drag racing... :nono:

When I say grip I mean 1/4 mi drag... Touge and auto-x not included. Im all for almost everything but drag. lol and not because my car is slow (mid low 13s)lol its just a personal choice.

BorHor;1191109 said:
Can't slide a 7M NA huh?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I like the way you think! lol Use to slide n/a 240 all day every day even when it had open diff.

Kangae;1191073 said:
(By the way, how much light are you putting in front of you with your headlights like that, or do they go up more? Never was sure how they worked...)

lol I only use it durring the daytime... Nite is dangerous like that with little light. But it worked well when I had the fogs in and lights on. about 80% of normal light.

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
shaeff;1191143 said:

maybe in Ny but here in Tn there's a auto-x maybe once a month but there's drag racing 2-3 times a week.

Edit: i read your comment wrong lol never mind.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
:3d_frown:

Drag /= grip

Time attack, wheel to wheel, most all racing is GRIP. It's faster around a corner, and as much as the drift fanboys will tell you otherwise, it's JUST as hard as keeping a car sideways.

Car control is car control, period.

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
soundwave2000;1191153 said:
If his are like mine, that is the off pos. when on they are at full open

OT: Holy Crap! I just saw your sig. There goes my shot at the only Panda MKIII :3d_frown: But technically, yours is not full panda ;)

I saw a video somewhere of a guy with his MKIII on the track, he wasn't very fast until he started letting his Supra slide out a bit. Not drifter status, but not complete grip either. A nice median is where I think the Supra should be on a track for good times.

TokyoHead

Jul 14, 2008
Ya Mamas house!
Poodles;1191298 said:

Drag /= grip

Time attack, wheel to wheel, most all racing is GRIP. It's faster around a corner, and as much as the drift fanboys will tell you otherwise, it's JUST as hard as keeping a car sideways.

I posted up before already, I have nothing agenst auto-x or time attack! And Im sure it does take alot of skill to enter a turn at high speeds... just as much as it does to keep it sideways. But last time I cheaked there was no turns on th edrag strip. Im just not for drag... I guess you can say Im a drift junkie.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Poodles;1191298 said:

Drag /= grip

LOL, ok- so I worded it wrong. Meh, still got my point across.

As for your comment about car control, I agree 100%. :)

soundwave2000

Tenshou Getsuga
Sep 30, 2007
Somerville Tn.
A-to-the-J;1191398 said:
OT: Holy Crap! I just saw your sig. There goes my shot at the only Panda MKIII :3d_frown: But technically, yours is not full panda

not yet it isnt, thats just a rattle can special to see if it would work on a mkiii, Im gonna fix it up right as soon as I can buy the stuff to do it.

BoostnLoose

Feb 13, 2006
Canada
going sideways in my opinion is a lot more fun then going fast in a straight line. i dont have any pics of actual drifting but here's my toy i like to slide around.

p1191927_1.jpg

p1191927_2.jpg

p1191927_3.jpg

p1191927_4.jpg

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
drifting is great. you have to start somewhere, unless youre nick hogan and have a viper dumped in your lap. what im saying is, people suck at things before they get better, as a general rule.. so out of all those halfass drifter wannabe kids that most of us hate, a few of them will get better, more mature, and become decent drifters with taste. there are nutswingers in any form of automotive sport. bug-eyed stock wrx owners that think theyre autocross kings. stock z28 owners with drag radials that think they rule the drag strip and can rape any import in their path. and of course, sleepy-eyed s13 drivers with shimmed hoods and sway bars that think pulling the hand brake is the only way to initiate a drift.

but basically, you cant hate the whole movement or concept just because you hate a lot of the people on the lower end of the spectrum. when something is cool, the nutswingers will always be there to make it lame once they start imitating. however, of those people, there is room for improvement and advancement. the concept applies to anything anyone ever really considered 'cool.'

so to me, drifting is cool.

/