does anybody here use dzus fasteners?

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
Dzus_Fasteners_9-28-03.jpg

I'm looking into quick-release ways to mount my front bumper, since it's in and out of the garage a lot, which involves taking the bumper off (the car's kinda low, as you can imagine) and really like the design of these...

...I've searched google, and everywhere else, for that matter, and haven't really figured out how the heck they work. I'm guessing there's a groove that attaches to the spring somehow, but I've never seen one in person, so I was hoping there was someone on here that could shed some light on it for me.

Please?

:)

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
mounting my bumper that way. there are two different sizes for the dzus fasteners, for the bumper you would want the larger ones so they dont try to pull through the fiberglass or plastic. also you can use latches as well

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
I use them on the car and my motorcycle...

Simple diagram here..
z-lock1.jpg

You could also get self-ejecting ones (my personal choice)..
71500_part.jpg

Make sure you get a proper dzus tool and not just use a screwdriver. They're cheap and they wont strip the dzus head :)

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
We use them all over the race cars. Front & Rear bumper, wing, etc. All held on by dzus. It's good for any part that you have to get off and on the car quickly.

I have never used them on a "pure" street car, but there's no reason not to. I used them on my ProStreet Monte Carlo quite a bit too.

And yes, carry spare Dzus keys and use them, screwdrivers will jack up the fasteners after a while.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
Alright, cool. I was definately going to use the self-ejecting kind, but I'm still a little confused on the sizes, and how to mount them, since they need something behind them, as opposed to latches that I could just rivet to the fender and bumper and be done with it.

Specifically, how to you mount the sides of the bumper with them? Some sort of mount system behind it, I'm assuming?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
This should give you an idea of the kind of supports, etc we use behind those panels. These are of the big tire MKIV drag car:

Photo_022508_026.jpg

Photo_022508_002.jpg

Remember on a race car like this we're just using the skins. The bumpers are purely for aerodynamics and cosmetics. There's no "bumper" under them.

disturbed1

Jan 10, 2006
perth
how did u go with these?

i was also looking at using them for my new godfather front bar.

wasnt sure if these will provide enough support for downforce assistign panels.

is their a neater way then the self lockign type? cant picture 6 of those pop riveted to exterior of an original godfather bar looking too flash :(

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
I actually decided not to put the bomex on my car and I'm just going to run the stock bumper. The roads suck around here so it's less to worry about.

If anybody's interested in it, let me know.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
my bumper is mounted with them. very easy. ill post pics in a day or two. the bumper unfortunatly is the gay crappy ebay one, but it works for now ill replace it this winter.

i put three on each side, two facing into the fender well and one on the side. this was a bad decision because sliding the bumper over them takes about a minute. if i just did two or three on the side then it would be easier.